• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Quadzilla XZT+

flagmanruss

My new Quadzilla XZT+ arrived today. I only ordered it Tuesday, dealer drop shipped it directly here. (I think I got a great deal at $275 shipped.) The 3 position switch offers "stock", "+30", "+70". (Yes, the instructions state +70, not the +65 frequently seen in advertizing.) The +30 setting is also described as "economy"... It is very interesting that +30 is more economical than stock. I like the ability to down load all the tuning programs to my computer & save them. Then the user can download them to the XZT+ at will. The download over-writes the previous top tune only. (Nobody else is getting Jack fer Christmas... I spent the money on my CTD. I may be in the dog house after this.)Russ

I had a beta version on my 98 and it had good power after I installed a boost elbow. I never could tell a difference in on the 30hp tune but I did like the 2011 or something like that with engine protection and high idle. Deffintely get a turnbuckle for you wastegate or you wont feel much difference.

• Owner

I had a beta version on my 98 and it had good power after I installed a boost elbow. I never could tell a difference in on the 30hp tune but I did like the 2011 or something like that with engine protection and high idle. Deffintely get a turnbuckle for you wastegate or you wont feel much difference.

Yeah... Johnfak and ISX learned that one... HY35 turbo needs a J hook to really get up and perform...

Yeah... Johnfak and ISX learned that one... HY35 turbo needs a J hook to really get up and perform...

Yeah I pm'd Russ and you just reminded me I owe him a PIC. This it it russ - best $3 MOD you will do to your truck - period :) ........ once you get that 60-70HP tune on and this .... and your guages .... see what your EGT's are doing towing. Sure they will be fine with the turnbuckle ......... else a HX35 like what I am about to do. (about $75 swapover cost when you sell your HY35 ") post-10132-138698174043_thumb.jpg Its a pretty easy job to do - but you need 2x people to make it real easy due to tight space (thans isx :thumb1:) ..... but man - WHAT A DIFFERENCE the extra 10PSI boost makes going up hills towing:)

I am planning guages... I guess a Boost guage would be a serious requirement if a turnbuckle is used on the waste gate rather than recalibrating with a J hook & heavier spring. I am a bit surprised as I sure didn't hear much whine towing @ 2000 rpm or not much more... What rpm does the boost begin to be a factor?I don't see it explicitly but some have said that the XZT+ has boost fooling built in... no need for a separate boost fooler. Must use a turnbuckle or J hook however to physically secure the waste gate. Am I getting good information here? Thanks guys,Russ

My banks otomind tuner will not let the computer see boost over 20 or so pounds. your quad might do the same thing, as far as boost fooling. i would think the owners manual would have that info in it. the new waste gate with my system opens at 34 to 35 psi. I have no seperate boost fooler or j hook and pull 33 t0 34 pounds no problem for the 5 years i have had it. the waste gate i have came with the stinger plus, if yours is stock it will open around 20 or so psi and i believe you would need a j hook or a different waste gateto get higher boost. just speaking from my experience, i am sure someone out there knows more about it than i do. good luck

I *think* the xzt does boost fooling. But to enable the higher boosts over stock you need to physically restrict the wastegate.

HY35 requires J-HOOK to allow wastegate restriuction to go from 23-35psi

HX35 requires boost elbow to allow wastegate restriuction to go from 23-35psi

I think without boost fooling - you will normally throw a code (Boost Pressue to high)

From QUAD site

"On 1998.5-2004 5.9L Cummins you will need to physically modify your wastegate to gain more turbo boost. Doing this without the Boost Fooler will result in check engine lights and codes set into the computer. Stock 98-04 trucks should generate 18-23psi of boost pressure stock (depending on year model). With the Boost Fooler you will be able to run 35+ psi of boost depending on your fueling enhancements."

The extra 12 PSI allows for reduced EGT's when towing ......... but you wanna keep it around 30 for HY and 35 for HX max. JUICE/QUAD can power down at limits - XZT can't .......

part of my system included a new exhaust housing and waste gate that opens around 35 psi. that is why i don't have a boost elbow or j hook.

makes sense that info was for Russ on the boost fooling for the xzt+ and general for the HX35/HY35 -> why you need both the fooler and the physical restriction.

I am a bit surprised as I sure didn't hear much whine towing @ 2000 rpm or not much more...

See info above. Running stock as you were you probably never saw above 22PSI boost. It realy starts to whine above that - as well as removal of the silencer ring if you like to hear it - I hated it to begin with - now I am "ok" with it. If your gonna tow - you going to need to have the J-HOOK on that HY35. Else look at a HX35 for a $100 swap (cheapest options). :thumb1:

My new Quadzilla XZT+ arrived today. I only ordered it Tuesday, dealer drop shipped it directly here. (I think I got a great deal at $275 shipped.) The 3 position switch offers "stock", "+30", "+70". (Yes, the instructions state +70, not the +65 frequently seen in advertizing.) The +30 setting is also described as "economy"... It is very interesting that +30 is more economical than stock. I like the ability to down load all the tuning programs to my computer & save them. Then the user can download them to the XZT+ at will. The download over-writes the previous top tune only. (Nobody else is getting Jack fer Christmas... I spent the money on my CTD. I may be in the dog house after this.) Russ

Did you get high idle to work? I was never able to get mine to work,even after Quadzilla sent me out a new programmer thinking it was that. Ended up enabling high idle and getting a fooler from Prowelder instead