FRONT AXLE DISCONNECT SYSTEM
TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN
Reference Number(s): 03-001-02, Date of Issue: February 11, 2002
DODGE: 2002 (BE/BR) Ram Truck
GROUP: Front Axle
Front Axle Disconnect System
This bulletin involves a mid-2002 model year deletion of the front axle disconnect system on 2002 (BE/BR)
2500 and 3500 Ram Trucks. This change effects the front axle, transfer case and engine/headlamp and dash
This bulletin involves a mid-2002 model year deletion of the front axle disconnect system on the 2002 (BE/BR) 2500 and 3500 Ram Trucks. This change effects the front axle, transfer case, and engine, headlamp and dash wiring harnesses.
2002 (BE/BR) Ram truck
NOTE: THIS BULLETIN APPLIES TO 2500 AND 3500 (BE/BR) RAM TRUCKSBUILT AFTER JANURARY 4, 2002 AND EQUIPPED WITH FRONT AXLES WITH THE FOLLOWING PART NUMBERS: 52070136AO, 52070137AO, 52070138AP, AND 52070139A0.
- The vehicles involved will retain Shift On the Fly (SFO) capability, however with this change, the front driveshaft will now turn continously when the vehicle is being driven.
- When the vehicles is stopped in 2WD the front driveshaft will no longer spin freely.
- The 4WD indicator light on the instrument panel is now controlled by a switch on the transfer case.
- If there is a mechanical problem causing loss of 4WD the indicator light will be "ON" if the shifter is in the "4WD HI" or "4WD LO" position.
- If the indicator light is not function properly when the transfer case shifter is in the 4WD position, the transfer case switch, dashboard indicator light or circuit should be diagnosed first.
- Parts required for service on vehicles with this change are readily available already identified in the Mopar Part Catalog.
NOTE: DUE TO THE TIMING OF THIS INFORMATION IS NOT REFLECTED IN THE SERVICE MANUAL (PUBLICATION #81-370-02057).
NOTE: DIAGNOSTIC AND SERVICE PROCEDURES FOR THE FRONT AXLE DISCONNECT SYSTEM, RELATED VACUUM LINES, THE TRANSFER CASE SYNCHRONIZER ASSEMBLY, MAIN SHAFT ASSEMBLY, HUB, STRUTS, RETAINING RING, SLIDING CLUTCH AND SPRING SHOULD BE DISREGARDED. SERVICE INFORMATION TO THE SUPPORT THIS CHANGE IS CURRENTLY BEING DEVELOPED AND WILL BE ON A FUTURE MDS2 CD RELEASE WHEN DEVELOPMENT IS COMPLETE.