• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Firewood Hauling: My Big Load

• Owner

Already broke in well. :evilgrin:

As for wood yes its all Alpine Fir this load. We've got our eyes on a huge spruce tree back another 20-30 feet more in the same spot. I get a bit of red fir now and then but don't favor it much being its a dirty wood and I tend to clean the chimney more. Firewood is the only form of heat here no electric heaters and no propane.

All I can say is coming down a 12% grade about it in 2nd gear and the exhaust brake a rattling. She was heavy.

Go Big or Go Home... I just went home BIG! :wow:

• Like 1

I'm jealous.  Haven't CSS any wood since back in March.  Need about 2 full cord to be a full 2 years ahead in firewood.

The next-door neighbor has an ash tree that evidently has succumbed to the first stage of EAB.  Gonna tell him the next time I see him that I'll take the firewood for free!!!  Probably about 1/2 cord total.  Heck..............free and close is good!!

• Owner

Don't I wish... I burnt about 9 cords of wood this last winter. I'm aiming for about 10-15 cords split and stacked. I don't gain access to the wood till at least late May and its closed up by snow as early as mid October. So I rather be up there like today light off and on rain showers (nearly snowing) with temps as high as 38-43*F. return to the canyon floor its like low 70's today in Riggins, ID.

MoparMom was worried about us today being the rain storm she had it dumped buckets and only seen a light shower at lunch time. Lasted only about 30 minutes and back to work.

• Owner

Like right now I've got my desktop computer shut down and pulled out the laptop a really nasty thunderstorm just rolled threw here. Several bolt made contact with the ground. So now if I wait till later I will be too busy with working wildland fires, if that doesn't happen then it gets so hot and dry the forestry bans firewood cutting because of fire danger. So I always get out after the thaw while the weather is cool and wet and get the job done. I can split the wood at home during the early morning hours and late evening not have to kill myself in 100*F weather. Yes it gets hot here seen plenty of 100*F here and better than 110*F in Riggins, ID.

• Like 1

It's only barely getting to be summer and your already getting your wood in? Your a good squirrel.

The wood that I cut, split and stack this year won't be burned until winter '15-16!!  

I've got the wood for this coming winter...............I'm looking to get about 2 years ahead.

Already broke in well. :evilgrin:

As for wood yes its all Alpine Fir this load. We've got our eyes on a huge spruce tree back another 20-30 feet more in the same spot. I get a bit of red fir now and then but don't favor it much being its a dirty wood and I tend to clean the chimney more. Firewood is the only form of heat here no electric heaters and no propane.

All I can say is coming down a 12% grade about it in 2nd gear and the exhaust brake a rattling. She was heavy.

Go Big or Go Home... I just went home BIG! :wow:

No hardwood out there in ID? All we burn in the northeast is primarily oak, maple, cherry and birch. Well, propane now that I'm renting in OH. 

• Staff

What do you figure she weighed? Those trailer tires don't look very happy :-)

Exhaust brakes are the best! We where just over 19K combined coming home from camping on Memorial Day, and had some steep stuff coming out of the mountains, barely used the truck brakes.

I discovered I can fit just over 1/3 of a chord under my atv rack in the bed of the truck... Thou with wood and ATVs the truck weighed 11,000 even with me in it and 1/3 tank of fuel, no one else.

• Owner

Trailer tires aren't inflated to max either. Load Range C's with max pressure of 50 PSI but only 40 PSI in the tires. I figure I'm right close to 7k total trailer weight. Roughly figuring 2 cords (2,200 pounds per cord) plus 1,800 pounds dry trailer weight. Right at 6,200 pounds. I'm not driving it to Grangeville or Council to scale it... :rolleyes: