• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Newer Ford Powerstroke

Mopar1973Man

• Owner

Last night a neighbor called up asking me to help him out with a Ford Powerstroke with a boost boot that keep blowing off the mouth of turbo. His stock boot was blown and shredded on the one end. The after market boot was a bit different length but it did fit. For some reason it would blow that one off too in about 5 miles. Tow a 5th wheel trailer GVWR for the trailer was close to 15,000 pounds. Also running big 35" tires as well. Edge Juice set to stock and running about 15-20 PSI of boost climbing the canyon.

I figure I would ask about it to see if anyone else learned a answer to this weird problem? :think:

One boot on mine would occaisionally blow off. It also was the first one off the turbo. What seemed to help was the alignment of the outlet and the boot was slightly off so I re-adjusted the outlet and it seems to have fixed it. Maybe there is an alignment issue on your friends truck?

• Owner

This is just a traveler going home to Las Vegas, NV and was having troubles. As for alignment that was one of the thing I kept after the owner as he was installing the boot again and making sure everything was absolutely clean and free of oil. Light black coating of oil in the discharge of the turbo too.

Something else you can do for a fix is to spray the crap out of where the boot goes with CHEAP hairspray. The cheap stuff has more varnish like stuff in it so that the boot will slide on easier and then when dry the varnish like stuff will glue the boot on.

Did he buy new clamps along with the boots?

Is this a 6.0 by chance? They are notorious for blowing boots. The 2 main reasons I've seen are the CCV blowing excess oil all over the front of the intercooler and the veins in the vgt sticking causing excessive boost. You would think the control valve on the turbo would open when the boost got too high and under normal circumstances I think it would, but they are prone to sticking when the turbo gets gummed up from the EGR. Combine that with the already oily/stretched boots/clamps and you have a recipe for disaster. Every 6.0 owner I know carries the necessary tools to tighten/replace a blown boot.

Just another perk of owning a powerstroke!

• Like 1