• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

MnTom is Broke Down near Standish Michigan. Is anyone near?

Tom called me and told me his transmission gave up the ghost and he was being towed to Standish, MI :neutral:  Is there anyone near that could make his weekend a bit more enjoyable by swinging by to help kill the time??   PM me and I will give you his phone # ( Just don't want to put his # Publicly )

I got towed to a trans shop, but know absolutely nothing about them. What happened was I was leaving a rest area and the transmission just shifted into third and BANG!! no more gears, forward or reverse. I am thinking input, intermediate, or output shaft broke, but don't know yet. My nephew is trying to come up with a way to tow my trailer and haul my truck to my destination (NE Ohio). Once I find out what I am doing then I will post my intentions...... This ain't gonna be cheap....

Tom, how far are you from the Ohio/Michigan border?

I am down for a few days until I get I get my new radiator. Working tomorrow but off Monday and provided my radiator is in I will have it together by late morning...if there is ANYTHING I can do let me know and I will do what I can.

BTW, I know the guru of Dodge transmissions in the area...he lives in Kingsville and can build anything you want/need. I have seen and ridden in some of the trucks he has built transmissions for (mine included) And he can build em from mild to wild. Very competent and fair, the only downside is he is always busy. I can put you in touch with him if you like. I'm headed to bed shortly have to be up at 330 for work so PM me or call me tomorrow. If I don't answer leave a message and I will get back to you soon as I get it

Does your nephew have a truck? I have a trailer that will haul your truck, get ahold of me tomorrow hopefully we can figure something out.

Edited by diesel4life

OOOO sounds like input shaft.

That is my thought. I just hope I didn't hurt the pump or anything else on it.

Far as a plan, from what I was told, my nephew will be installing a hitch in his truck and will trailer it to where I am. Then we put my truck on the trailer and use his truck to pull my fiver. That should take place tomorrow I think.

JR, once I get to Windsor I can call you (NO THROWING YOUR PHONE IN LAKE ERIE EITHER!!) and discuss things.

Not sure if Tom has internet here or not, so I will briefly answer for him. He made it home to his family here in Ohio early yesterday morning. He is exploring his options and talking with a few trans builders here locally.

Edited by diesel4life

Thanks, JR. I do have internet, but it is through my MIFI, so I have a limited amount of data per month. We got to NE Ohio at about 3:30 am ald like JR said, I am exploring my options. Today is the day for telephone calls.........

I got the truck to a trans shop yesterday. Now it is a waiting game to see what they find. I am dissapointed with Goerend Transmission though. I called them to see if they had a builder in this area and they said they would call a guy and get back to me. Two days later I have not heard from them. I guess just being a parts supplier instead of a builder customer service isn't as important.

Call them again. Truck up in Michigan? Redline diesel out of Wooster, OH has a good reputation out here. 

Naw, the truck is in NE Ohio. I tried a couple of shops that came highly recommended, and was only able to discuss my plans with one, so he got the truck. Maybe Monday I will hear something.

Any updates?

Yep. Got a call today and the truck should be ready tomorrow. The splines on the drum end decided to go away....... The estimate is for about $1300 to get my truck back after there are some updates to the trans. and a new stock input. He didn't have the O/D section apart to check for steel or wear, but he didn't anticipate any problems.

A word of advice to anyone running stock inputs with higher power..... You WILL have the same problem, but it is not predictable. It depends on how much power, how much towing, how much weight, how you drive, etc. so be prepared. You won't have any symptoms or noise before the input fails.

Yep. Got a call today and the truck should be ready tomorrow. The splines on the drum end decided to go away....... The estimate is for about $1300 to get my truck back after there are some updates to the trans. and a new stock input. He didn't have the O/D section apart to check for steel or wear, but he didn't anticipate any problems.

A word of advice to anyone running stock inputs with higher power..... You WILL have the same problem, but it is not predictable. It depends on how much power, how much towing, how much weight, how you drive, etc. so be prepared. You won't have any symptoms or noise before the input fails.

I'm anticipating this sort of thing when I do me VE swap. I'm going to be running through this sort of stuff before that turbo even goes on...