• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Intake Manifold Gaskets

• Owner

It was time to fix some of my minor boost leaks and whistling sounds coming from the old manifold gaskets. So since Lindy wasn't busy and the gasket where their at work why not? So I got a nice dry spot to work inside and all the tools I could ever want.

post-1-0-29596900-1426361182_thumb.jpg

So I will tell you that you want to remove all the injector lines. The fuel filter has to come off (if you still have the stock fuel filter). APPS sensor has to be removed and the intake horn and grid heater of course. Take a nice sharp puddy knife and start scrapping off the old gasket. It will be baked on so take your time.

post-1-0-39829900-1426361234_thumb.jpg post-1-0-98328600-1426361289_thumb.jpg

Then once cleaned up I put a very fine layer of black silicone on both sides of the gasket. Re-install the plenum. At that point its just a matter of re-assembly just the way you pull it apart. What I did was place all my bolt back in there holes but as I started installing injection lines just lift out the ones that hold something. Then replace them. 

• Like 1

Nice! Doesn't seem to difficult and cures all the little noises! Did you just vacum out all the little bits and pieces that fell into the manifold?

I typically drive around with no radio on just so I can listen for new sounds that weren't there before. There's nothing more annoying then hearing something that rattle's/shake's/whistle's without you wanting it too!

When I did mine, it was at the same time as my tappet cover gasket. I left the 4, 5, & 6 lines in place. I used Permatex #2 to glue the gasket with all of the bolts in place. Drilled out a piece of plywood that the bolts stuck through & weighted it down. Then, a couple hours later, I greased the bottom side of the gasket & slid it under the lines. Most important is to put sealant on the plenum bolts, as they are open to the intake & can cause a boost leak.

Ed

When I did mine, it was at the same time as my tappet cover gasket. I left the 4, 5, & 6 lines in place. I used Permatex #2 to glue the gasket with all of the bolts in place. Drilled out a piece of plywood that the bolts stuck through & weighted it down. Then, a couple hours later, I greased the bottom side of the gasket & slid it under the lines. Most important is to put sealant on the plenum bolts, as they are open to the intake & can cause a boost leak.

Ed

Hey Ed,

What bolts are you referring too? All the ones that screw into the manifold? Or are there bolts that need it and bolts that dont?