• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

COV (cascade overflow valve) Removal

Ed's5.9

Hello to all,

I have been having some idle issues for a while now and it has started to get worse so I ordered the FCA (fuel control actuator) and COV. everything came in from Geno's including instructions for the FCA, but I did not receive anything regarding the COV. I have done some searching online and cant find anything on the removal/install process all I got was info and specs about the COV. The removal looks pretty straight forward but my concern is will I need any additional gaskets or seals to install the new COV and what are the torque specs for it. Hope Some one can help, thank you all for your time.

Spoke to Todd and he explained that it is as straight as it seems, in addition he mentioned that the COV rarely fails and when it does the symptoms are that the engine will run and shut down shortly after starting it.

• Like 2

I went ahead and swapped out the FCA and COV, based on the issues that I was having it was probably just the FCA that was bad but I already had the COV so why not... Just in case anyone decides to do this in the future here are a few tips.

To clean the area I used a nylon brush to knock off any debris/crud on the CP3 surface, hit it with compressed air, Sprayed it down with some CRC QD contact cleaner (safer than part cleaner on electrical components), hit it with air again and removed the FCA I’m really paranoid when it comes to my CP3 pump so instead of greasing the rubber seals on the new FCA I just rubbed a little diesel on the seals with my fingers and gradually tightened all 3 screws in sequence until FCA was completely flush against CP3 and then torque to spec.

Then I moved to the COV only thing I can recommend here is to loosen COV and go about 3 full turns and with a nylon brush remove any crud around the threaded area, the CP3 has a slight chamfer/bevel on the surface of the COV port that seems to catch and bake crud on there that starts to come lose once you start to remove the COV, again I am paranoid when it comes to my CP3 so I do not recommend compressed air at this point just a nylon brush and maybe some good ol lung powered air to clear what the brush might leave behind. Once area is clean continue to remove COV, use caution so that you don’t knock anything into the port once the COV comes out. Keep replacement COV close by so you can minimize the exposed time of the port. Now tighten the COV, it will come to a hard stop once it’s in all the way, once it reached this point I gave it a snug and that’s it.  My idle issues are now gone and got no leaks after the install.

• Like 1

That would make sense right lol .... Well here are the issues that I was having. When idling in park I was getting some what of a rhythmic pulse where about every 5-6 seconds the idle would raise for a second and then drop back to normal which wasn't that bad just a couple hundred rpm. The bigger issue was while ideling in gear whether it was D or R once in gear if I would accelerate from a stand still it would sputter, clear it self out and go, if I was at a red light while in gear the rhythmic pulse would become more exaggerated to the point that the truck would almost shut off after recouperating from the rpm spikes and then aggressevly fuel it self out of stauling. That was a bit scary because the truck actually would drop idle and then act as if some one pressed the fuel pedal to stop it from shutting off, it actually inched up on me a few times at a red light while I was lightly on the brake getting me a little closer to the car in front of me.

That would make sense right lol .... Well here are the issues that I was having. When idling in park I was getting some what of a rhythmic pulse where about every 5-6 seconds the idle would raise for a second and then drop back to normal which wasn't that bad just a couple hundred rpm.

My 05 has done this since the day I bought it 8 years ago with only 18K miles on it, now has about 118k miles and still does the same thing, only does it at cold start up at idle and or elevated idle it does it too but it goes away after it warms up a bit. The colder it is the more pronounced it is, I have always wondered why it did this but it has never bothered in any way other than how odd it sounds as it surges at idle or elevated idle some times it surges and sometimes it just kind of does what sounds like a very quick bump of the throttle or maybe a cut out hard to tell but just a split second worth.

I figured it would progress into something more other than the odd nuisance but after 8 years and 100K it has not changed, I just live with it.

Mine has started to do this thing the last couple years when I cold start it where it fires up instantly and then dies just as fast. Turn key off and restart and then it will crank for a second or two before starting back up but it has never gotten any worse and only does it at initial cold start up and not every time, no pattern here. :think:

Mine had been doing it for about 2 years but it was temperamental because I would try to figure out the issue by checking wireing, changed the apps (which had to be changed anyways because I was getting random dead pedal) I swapped out my terminals and ground cables, replaced fuel filter and water seperator, replaced MAP sensor and who knows what else I had changed trying to get that resolved and nothing sometimes it would go away and I thought I got it and then it would come back. I even took it to a local mechanic for insight and of course I could not reproduce the issue so I looked like the crazy guy that hears non exestant issues ... My most recent attempt before replacing COV and FCA was that maybe I was randomly getting bad fuel somewhere or something was gettig clogged so I ran some diesel kleen thought it and it actually got worse and more consistent I think the diesel keen may have cleaned out something that was helping the situation lol. After swapping the parts I drove the truck all day yesterday and it never skipped a beat so hopefully it doesn't come back if it does I'll let u know, otherwise its $177 from Geno's for both and about 30-45min to swap.

Edited by Ed's5.9

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Just came across this sound clip of my idle issues. The Clip is from when the issue started when it wasnt as bad. The truck is in park at idle when the idle issue was the least noticeable but still noticeable. Listen for pulsing in diesel rattle.

Edited by Ed's5.9