• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Tinted windows

Is there anyone that has any knowledge of a factory darkened tinted window Mopar may have put out for the rams? (2nd Gen) Seems some automakers have the odd vehicle they did them for and I was wondering if they ever did one for these trucks?

Nationwide federal motor vehicle laws dictate a factory cannot tint rear windows ( back seat, back cargo....etc) darker than 20% light transmittance, if thats what you're asking.  You will not see factory tinted front windows. Hope this helps.

Yes. I had something like a 50-60 % on the fronts but was wondering if there were any dark factory tints out there. I know of a guy that has tractor trailer that actuallly has a very dark factory tint, first time ive ever seen it on something like that

• Owner

Even though the federal laws state the limit and even local laws state the limits on tint... You can still tint your glass in your truck to a comfortable level and not be pestered by the law enforcement. Just simple and don't do foolish thing like speeding and call attention to yourself and they will most likely not mess with your tinted windows. As of right now my 02 Dodge is illegal and has been for years because side windows should be 25% or less tint. I'm at 20% and the rear windows are at 5%. I've been pulled over but never sited for a tint issue.

I hate to call someone a liar I haven't ever met and you know, but from my experience around CMV's I will say, if he has dark tint on a big rig, it is 100% not factory and is 100% illegal.  I believe federal CMV laws dictate no darker than 70% on a CMV, but I'll double check the %.   Unless it was/is a special edition/promotional tractor not meant to be on the road hauling anyway. I have no big issues with darker tint in some cases, but big rigs aren't an exception, they need to be able to see as good as possible.

Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration 393.60 updated oct 2013.

Coloring or tinting of windshields and windows.</b></em> Coloring or tinting of windshields and the windows to the immediate right and left of the driver is allowed, provided the parallel luminous transmittance through the colored or tinted glazing is not less than 70 percent of the light at normal incidence in those portions of the windshield or windows which are marked as having a parallel luminous transmittance of not less than 70 percent. The transmittance restriction does not apply to other windows on the commercial motor vehicle.

Yes it quite possibly couldve been some promo thing and he got his hands on it somehow..I don't know. I have never jumped up and checked the glass myself but I do remember a conversation him and I had and he told me he got pulled over and the cop jumped upon the side of the truck and told him to put his window back up. When he did he went for the tint line and was shocked when there wasn't any there as he thought he was going to get him for illegal tint. Not sure how or where, but he managed to get something apparantley others don't  ? I  will have to ask him again the next time I see him as i'm curious now