• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Additional oil and fuel filtering on a 3rd gen

Just throwing out a few pics of the additional filtering capacity I have added to my 05.

I have an Amsoil remote oil bypass kit with a home made mount and location I came up with originally on my 02 and integrated it to my 05. behind that you can see the Fuel filter kit I installed from Vulcan performance with a 3 micron Donaldson filter between the OEM filter and the CP3.

post-180-0-03685600-1432394087_thumb.jpg

post-180-0-66269000-1432394140_thumb.jpg

post-180-0-55552600-1432394197_thumb.jpg

post-180-0-89070200-1432394241_thumb.jpg

post-180-0-50111500-1432394291_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I thought this was the way it was done, you get your personal use from it then it is already rerolled and ready for the engine.

91678b032db3906ffb3d345460760e88.jpg

Sorry;  I cannot type this with a straight face.......................as I'm laughing to hard :lmao2:

But I was thinking 180* opposite of you.................to use your set up, AFTER running the TP has been used as a bypass filter!!!!!  :wow:  :duh:

Hemmoroids;  what hemmoroids :2cents:

Edited by dorkweed
  • Like 1

• Owner

I thought this was the way it was done, you get your personal use from it then it is already rerolled and ready for the engine.

91678b032db3906ffb3d345460760e88.jpg

Sorry;  I cannot type this with a straight face.......................as I'm laughing to hard :lmao2:

But I was thinking 180* opposite of you.................to use your set up, AFTER running the TP has been used as a bypass filter!!!!!  :wow:  :duh:

Hemmoroids;  what hemmoroids :2cents:

OMG... :lmao2::lmao:

• Like 1

Just throwing out a few pics of the additional filtering capacity I have added to my 05.

I have an Amsoil remote oil bypass kit with a home made mount and location I came up with originally on my 02 and integrated it to my 05. behind that you can see the Fuel filter kit I installed from Vulcan performance with a 3 micron Donaldson filter between the OEM filter and the CP3.

I would like to know when the oil bypass filter is recommended , how does it work [supply,return,bypass????]

i have a FASS so i'm not needing more fuel filtering,.. so i would like to learn more about eng. oil filtering.......  :thumb1:

& 'if' i need it , where do i get one.................

If you want to do extended oil change intervals or run in a bit more of a dirty environment then go for a bypass oil filter system, if you do regular oil change intervals and do not want to run extended drain intervals then it is not for you.

I like Amsoil as they offer complete oil bypass filter kits and filters that are nicely put together already but more expensive than home brewed kits or the toilet paper bypass kit route. "You get what you pay for scenario".

• Like 1

It all depends on the age of your FASS and the filters on it.. It wasn't all that long ago that FASS and AD filters where worse than stock.

1.5 yrs. old FASS, filter is new....ok, its not on my truck yet, but when i get time..........................

Edited by organicfarmer

Which filters are on it (both have f/w drains?)? What color is it?

i got this FASS for my 98.5 vp ram [my very 1st performance product!] to support the inj. pump.  so when i decided to sell that lame workhorse i kept this after putting a new stock replacment l.p. on the 98 [w/gauge]

the FASS is the platinum series ' P D08 150G'   It has one filter but i added a 'in-line' [wix-33270] filter before the FASS. the fass filter p.# is FWS-3003      This is a water remover/filter    

I will be keeping the stock filter as well, more cant hurt! that gives me more filtering & water sep. abilities 

i had to buy a draw straw & wiring harness so this rig works on the 04.5

any thoughts on keeping the bugger quiet???  could easy hear it on the other truck......

005_zpsdjirroc1.jpg

• Staff

Oh sorry, thought I had responded. 

The filter on that FASS is a P553203 which is the Donaldson cross for the 3um Racor filter. It's a great f/w sep and final filter. I would still run it thru the OEM canister with a PF7977 thou. 

If you where really ambitious I would put a BF1212 before the FASS instead of the strainer you listed. 

I had a FASS HPFP 150 "No filters" just a stand alone pump on my 02 and it was really loud as well, could hear it over the engine with the drivers window rolled down. Was like that for years. I just ran through the factory canister with a fleetguard 7 mic filter and had no issues.

THANK-YOU THANK-YOU THANK-YOU!!! :thumb1:  I am greatful....BF1212, is that a in-line filter? what brand? 

PF7977, is that the OEM filter? i plan to use the OEM filtering system, more filtering is better.  the PF553203, is that the donaldson filter just like i have.

Thanks wild bill..... :)  it is loud..... i was pondering what to do, on this truck it will be very noticable....i prob. will make a box around the FASS to help sound prof the noisy pig..............