• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Additional oil and fuel filtering on a 3rd gen

does the extra filter help with the soot?

If you want to do extended oil change intervals or run in a bit more of a dirty environment then go for a bypass oil filter system, if you do regular oil change intervals and do not want to run extended drain intervals then it is not for you.

I like Amsoil as they offer complete oil bypass filter kits and filters that are nicely put together already but more expensive than home brewed kits or the toilet paper bypass kit route. "You get what you pay for scenario".

thank-you john.... :thumb1:

Edited by organicfarmer

• Staff

Yes it does, but with modern oils soot is even harder to filter out. 

A lot has to do with engine design. My latest UOA was <0.1% soot but that is with the 03-04 piston bowl. The lowest I ever saw on the 05 pistons, at 7,500 miles, was 1.6% and the lowest ever was 0.9% at 5600 miles.