• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Stumble off idle.

2500ctd

Having an interesting issue with my truck. Trying to load the engine under approx. 1K rpm, it starts to shudder, pedal goes dead, or at least no affect on the engine, real rough idle which drops to about 5-600rpm. Itll catch itself and jump up to a return idle. If I baby it and keep the rpms > 1K not to much an issue. Just for increased clutch wear.

Doing some research, I unlugged the fca, Had bad fuel knock. However it didn't do it Only tried it three times. Does this make sense? Still might not be the FCA. Any way to troubleshoot it? I hate just throwing parts at it.

Heres a vid:

http://vid12.photobucket.com/albums/a207/CrazyMoparGirl/IMG_4173_zpsv87d1i41.mp4

• Owner

The apps is simply a variable resistance switch you can test with a digital ohm meter. I would reccomend you get a Chilton or Haynes manual for your specific model and it will give you illustrations and the correct procedure to test the apps as well as a number of other possible sensors

I had idle issues not too long ago and it came down to 3 culprits. APPS, COV and FCA I tested my old APPS and it was malfunctioning so I swapped it out for a timbo unit and that resolved the non responsive fuel pedal but I still had rough idle. I then swapped FCA and COV and that nailed it. PM me if you would like more info.

I missed the video clip the 1st time I read the post. My truck was doing the same thing and it gradually became unbearable when it started idling like yours in the clip. Unfortunately that I know of there is no DTC code for FCA or COV if you are not able to narrow things down I would advise to swap out the FCA and see how it reacts I got mine from geno's for a little over $100 but it resolved an issue that was progressively getting worse throughout a 2 year period. If you can, check my post to see if it sounds familiar.

http://forum.mopar1973man.com/index.php?/topic/9835-cov-cascade-overflow-valve-removal/?p=112712#entry112712

Edited by Ed's5.9

True, there are some variations with the HO and the 04.5 and newer models as well I think. Is there also different programming on the APPS from auto to manual ? He mentioned his clutch in the post so that's a variable I never had to deal with. I know it's in a different place but not sure if anything else changes.

Sorry guys. Had Drill this weekend. Had to ride the Buell. Not a bad thing overall.  :thumb1:

Cant figure out how to get back to change my sig? I did once.

Victim is a 05 QCLB 4x4 6spd.

I am looking at getting a BT1

http://gopointtech.com/products/

Instead of throwing parts at it, I might get this and diagnosis the truck and see if maybe something simple (cheap) Also a cheap temp was to monitor rail pressure until I can get my tuner/gauges. Also I have other vehicles I can use it on as well.  :ahhh:

I might pull the COV to check.

Again sorry, everyone. Was busy this weekend.