• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

order of reliability improvements/over heating

Thanks.  It may not all be right, but it's a start.  I wouldn't mind putting the article together.  

The primary weak points on stock trucks are:

-Fuel system pressure and flow rate

-Automatic transmission on modified trucks

Once you get past those two items, it is essentially a performance, towing, and general maintenance discussion. 

In my opinion, the 47RE trans most of us have is a good transmission in stock form... for a stock truck.  If driven cautiously a stock trans will last a long time.  People drive it without thinking of shifting and disregard maintenance.  The 47RE is essentially only an electronically controlled and beefed up overdrive 727 torqueflite.  These transmissions were designed to have their bands adjusted and have the fluid changed.  

PS.  I also want to add... Much of this stuff I've posted I've learned from Mopar Man and Wild N Free.  They can do a sanity check. 

Are these weaknesses unique to 2nd gens? Or to later years also have these troubles?

Are these weaknesses unique to 2nd gens? Or to later years also have these troubles?

I don't have a 3rd gen... However, from hearing Wild N Free talk about it, it would appear that they made the 48 a bit stronger.  Still not free from mods for performance applications, but they seem to tow well without mods. 

ETA:  I wish I bought a 3d gen!  Haha.   But... I love the blue beast. 

Edited by CSM

• Staff

I think the manufacture date on my Air Dog Raptor 100 makes one of the newer version pumps. It's been on there for about 5 years with about 25,000 miles on it. I can hear the bearings squealing at times but still holding around 19 at idle and around 15 hauling heavy up hills. Time to request a new one since the mount is an easy frame mount change out

• Owner

The whole fuel system weakness is the VP44 at the center. Basically there is 4 ways of killing a VP44...

1. Fuel lubricity - Bosch states in there own testing that all fuels should be at <450 HFRR but US fuels are about 520 HFRR.
  2. Fuel pressure - Dodge FSM states a minimum of 10 PSI. Unoffically we state a minimum of 14 but no higher than 20 PSI. This is to hold the overflow valve open.
  3. Fuel filtration - Extra filters or better filtration is always better for life span of parts.
  4. Power - Yes even the VP44 is sensitive to AC noise as well and should be less than 0.1 AC Volt measured at the BATT post on the alternator.

CSM is right this is just a old school 727 trans in these truck with a electronic 4th gear. The problem is that the 727 and the 47RE are designed to handle max torque at higher RPMs but like the Cummins it create high torque in low RPMs and the pump pressures are not high enough during these loads. Hence why people change valve bodies, add pressure and modify the governor pressure signal with a resistor. I know Wild & Free could spit out the newest transmission model and it would be a huge upgrade over the older 47RE and 48RE.

• Like 1

The whole fuel system weakness is the VP44 at the center. Basically there is 4 ways of killing a VP44...

• Fuel lubricity - Bosch states in there own testing that all fuels should be at <450 HFRR but US fuels are about 520 HFRR.
  • Fuel pressure - Dodge FSM states a minimum of 10 PSI. Unoffically we state a minimum of 14 but no higher than 20 PSI. This is to hold the overflow valve open.
  • Fuel filtration - Extra filters or better filtration is always better for life span of parts.
  • Power - Yes even the VP44 is sensitive to AC noise as well and should be less than 0.1 AC Volt measured at the BATT post on the alternator.
CSM is right this is just a old school 727 trans in these truck with a electronic 4th gear. The problem is that the 727 and the 47RE are designed to handle max torque at higher RPMs but like the Cummins it create high torque in low RPMs and the pump pressures are not high enough during these loads. Hence why people change valve bodies, add pressure and modify the governor pressure signal with a resistor. I know Wild & Free could spit out the newest transmission model and it would be a huge upgrade over the older 47RE and 48RE.

What one? Someone on here said the the Dodge Direct Replacement was junk! I have about the same miles on my Raptor!

I have an older model fass 95/95.  

No idea on the direct replacement.  I've been hearing many many stories around here of the new Air Dogs not being as reliable as the old ones.  

Would a shift kit be good enough instead of changing out the VB?

In many cases, yes.  Caj Flynn (old poster with a million mile 2d gen) used the shift kits.  I am not sure what kind he used though. 

What one? Someone on here said the the Dodge Direct Replacement was junk! I have about the same miles on my Raptor!

I have a Dodge Direct replacement and i would not recommend it. The first one mounted in the stock location lasted about 10K miles. Second one is mounted on the frame and after 15k miles it is starting to leak fuel out of the motor so its days are limited. I will be ordering a FASS system soon.

In many cases, yes. Caj Flynn (old poster with a million mile 2d gen) used the shift kits. I am not sure what kind he used though. [/quote

It would be nice to know how I can make an auto more reliable, seems like I can destroy even a NV5600, driving easy!

I have a Dodge Direct replacement and i would not recommend it. The first one mounted in the stock location lasted about 10K miles. Second one is mounted on the frame and after 15k miles it is starting to leak fuel out of the motor so its days are limited. I will be ordering a FASS system soon.[/quote

Isn't that a FASS, the direct replacement?

So I bought a Raptor today, I had no issues w mine in my 98.5 & I believe it kept my VP44 going after I got the death code 40,000 miles ago. I will fill in my warranty 

as soon as I get it just to be sure it's cool! I'm taking a chance, I've read of problems w Air Dog & FASS, so I just went w what worked for me!

Still researching the shift kit or a VB, but that will have to wait untill I get my radiator sorted out when I get home & a FP gauge, not sure if I want a monitoring system or something along those lines!

Any thoughts?

Dave

As long as you can increase the line pressures properly.

I bought a SunCoast shift kit for under a 100 bucks, it's supposed to take care of the line pressure problems. I appreciate the helpful suggestions here guys!

I can't wait to get home & start changing parts, it's a rust free Fl truck, so I had no problems changing the front shocks & removing the shock tower bolts!

Michael, I know you were writing about getting rid of your Frantz but I'm switching mine over from my other truck. I don't care if it does seep a little, the oil is silky smooth! It's worth it!

Thanks again guys,

Dave

Update, I looked at my shipping notice & the shift kit is a TransGo ordered from SunCoast.

After I get the farm caught up when I get back, I'll be having fun putting my goodies on the truck next week!

Keep y'all posted,

Dave