• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

CHANGED AIR FILTER & FOUND PROBLEM

Today, after FLUSHINg P/S System, i Pulled of my 4-yr old BHAF Air Filter to replace with new, When i pulled Boot off of turbo, there it was,, the Compressor wheel blades were Damaged, "Not wiped out" but few of the edges of blades are frayed up pretty good, but there's no excessive play in the shaft and the blades hasn't been rubbing the housing....

im trying to post pictures

Today, after FLUSHINg P/S System, i Pulled of my 3-yr old BHAF Air Filter to replace with new, When i pulled Boot off of turbo, there it was,, the Compressor wheel blades were Damaged, "Not wiped out" but few of the edges of blades are frayed up pretty good, but there's no excessive play in the shaft and the blades hasn't been rubbing the housing....

im trying to post pictures

post-109-0-96717500-1435113259_thumb.jpg

post-109-0-36607300-1435113275_thumb.jpg

Edited by rburks

When you install a BHAF, it's not a simple 'plug & play' setup.  First you must make sure it doesn't rub anywhere it shouldn't, like the original mounting bolts for the stock air box.  Second you must support the rubber flange of the inlet with some sort of steel pipe, or the connection might leak.  

That really stinks though.

YEP'' i been running BHAF For long time, i have a Heat shield L-shaped mounted thru original air box bolts my filter is suspended on both ends setting on Foam pillows at each end

IVE seen motors get sucked full of dust and not pit the compressor wheel like this,, this was metal or alum fine particles id say caused this

Well Mike it was about dark and unless it just didn't catch my attention the filter look fine wasn't really all that dirty, reason i pulled it anyway was cause I've been loosing boost and spool up slow unless i turn it up to 5 and let it smoke,,, 

When i seen it my thoughts were exactly as yours, HAD TO BE A HARD SUBSTANCE TO CAUSE THAT

I MEAN that filter would have had to have a big"hole" and lay"n on top of a pile of rocks to do that

• Owner

Well the turbo is destroyed like mine was. The compressor wheel was destroyed by a hose clamp. So mine sucked in that debris of the damaged blades. So in you case I'm not going to say the sky is falling but its time to investigate a bit more and figure out what happening. Oil dilution is cause by failed injectors. That can be checked by doing a pop test of thee injectors. Not a turbo issue. But debris issues could cause a compression issue (blowby). So compression test would verify that problem. Since the injectors have to be pulled to be pop tested you could do a compression test too. Another thought is wastegate issues? (sticking open)

Well the turbo is destroyed like mine was. The compressor wheel was destroyed by a hose clamp. So mine sucked in that debris of the damaged blades. So in you case I'm not going to say the sky is falling but its time to investigate a bit more and figure out what happening. Oil dilution is cause by failed injectors. That can be checked by doing a pop test of thee injectors. Not a turbo issue. But debris issues could cause a compression issue (blowby). So compression test would verify that problem. Since the injectors have to be pulled to be pop tested you could do a compression test too. Another thought is wastegate issues? (sticking op

Well the oils clean it it right now, just changed it, so if it starts turning black i a few days ill push the panic button. i saved some of the old oil i think I'm going to drop off a oil sample down at the cat dealer

thing is, theres nothing else that would lead me to believe theres a problem with the injectors, idles smooth as silk, no smoke no missing, no smoke in the morning when started

i guess stranger things have happened

Come to think of it,..IVE not had that end of the boot off sense it came back from body shop couple yrs ago, 

I Know I'm quoting myself"""" But i keep coming back to this cause its really the only logical explanation, "I'm not pointing fingers right now but they were the last one to have the hoses and clamps off so i could see how truck could set there in shop w/ all the stuff off, the air system exposed to anything and everything while there waiting on parts or busy on something else

*****SORRY*** Im referring to the Body shop that the Insurance co. assigned me to take truck to to fix after Accident, (front end)..wiped out Grill, bumper, Radiator, Air charger and Fan Assem. ....

***I Guess I've totally forget about the possibility that it could be something related to the collision . and it just never got noticed but i pulled the boot off right after and there was no damage so IDK

Edited by rburks