• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Radio trouble

If you go with a new head unit make sure to check your ground. I swapped a new one into my 01 and it started blowing the fuse that holds all instrument lights and marker light out side the truck. Super fun to find out when I got off work and the sun wasn't up.

I ordered a deck from Crutchfield. Should be here soon. A lot more advanced than my old deck. Bluetooth and all. CD rather than cassette. Only thing I used the cassette for is the adapter to plug in the iPhone.

Thanks for the heads up on the ground.

Radio went in fast. Spent more time doing other things while the face was off the dash. Got the indicator light wired for the high idle fooler. Also removed the clear plastic on the gauge cluster and got the dust and fir needles out and all cleaned.

Still have 2 speakers not working. Left front and right rear. I'll tackle this soon. I was able to wire the fooler ground and ignition wires right into the new radio wiring. The wires were labeled, so it was pretty easy.

Ordered the 'RAZ' option OEM radio from ..... 1FactoryRadio   This radio is AM/FM Cassette/CD ....

It was modified to take the output jack for accessories (Sirius XM) ...... 

Ran a ground wire to the firewall.

I prefer the factory radios because they aren't too complicated, the buttons-controls aren't microscopic, and the lighting matches up.  They have decent sound, with good speakers.  We sit in noisy vehicles ....... just how sophisticated is your 'ear' when Dwight Yoakam's in full howl ?  :cool:

I think I know what you mean... Does your multimeter have a continuity tester?  It should have a diode symbol. An OHM symbol measuring resistance will work too.  

With the continuity, test between the speaker wire at the speaker, and then back to the wire at the radio.  Then check continuity to ground against the cab to make sure it isn't shorting to the cab, which was my problem.  I had a rubbed wire that was shorting to the cab.  

I bet I've got a multitude of problems. One speaker with no continuity, one cutting in and out(bet bad wire). Good news is that for less than the cost of a driving while on a cell phone I've got a new stereo with Bluetooth function for hands free talking. Plus will play all my music and has a CD player. Just had cassette before.