• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

What Would Cause This.................Tire Related

I rotated my tires a while ago, just because I'd not done it in a while.  Truck tracked straight and true, no problems.  However;  right after rotating, I had a pull to the right and the steering seems less responsive.  Drove for about 3-4000 miles this way, and couldn't take it any longer.  I did the normal rotation pattern I've always done...................rears straight forward to the front, and the fronts crossed to the rears.  Anyhow, the truck is back to driving like it was prior to the previous rotation.  The drivers side front, which is now on the passengers side rear, was wearing very strangely.  Seem to be like every other lug, or every third lug block on the inside of the tire was worn.  These weren't scalloped, they were worn lower.  I dunno.  Like I said, truck is back to normal with this tire on the rear now.

• Owner

My previous set of tires did that at the end of their life span. I wasn't too worried knowing I'm going to replace them. As my new tire they are wearing straight and true. So I'm not sure even why my previous tires did that too. Same problem strange pull and outside shoulder lugs wore down in a weird pattern.

I hit a boulder and my steering wheel is off center now and pulls to the right. Hope it's adjustable. My truck has pulled a little to the right since I've owned it. I got 55,000 miles on my BFG KO's. Rotating often and side wear was spread out on 4 tires and so impact was marginal.

The way i do my alignment is as fallows.

4 jack stands. at each corner of the vehicle. string running from rear to front about 8" out from the rim and lifted to half the height of the tire. on on each side of the vehicle. then measure the front and back of the rear rim. move the front jackstand so the rear measurement is equal. so string is square to the rear rim.

do this on both sides. then measure the front rims, adjust tow accordingly. usually about 1/8" tow in per side.

works everytime for me. make sure to lock your steering wheel centered.

• Staff

I rotated my tires a while ago, just because I'd not done it in a while.  Truck tracked straight and true, no problems.  However;  right after rotating, I had a pull to the right and the steering seems less responsive.  Drove for about 3-4000 miles this way, and couldn't take it any longer.  I did the normal rotation pattern I've always done...................rears straight forward to the front, and the fronts crossed to the rears.  Anyhow, the truck is back to driving like it was prior to the previous rotation.  The drivers side front, which is now on the passengers side rear, was wearing very strangely.  Seem to be like every other lug, or every third lug block on the inside of the tire was worn.  These weren't scalloped, they were worn lower.  I dunno.  Like I said, truck is back to normal with this tire on the rear now.

I would start with an alignment and make sure they check your ball joints. My 1st guess is going to be ball joints.