• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Fuel lubricity

While working in Augusta Ga I started stopping at a Love's travel center. I noticed the they have a B-20 sticker on their pumps. I have been running it now for about 2 months without 2 stroke and the truck idles noticeably quieter. A typical tank of fuel that was using making the run home and driving at work consisted of 150 miles around town and 450 miles on the interstate running mostly 75 to 80 mph. I was getting about 17.5 mpg consistently on these runs. The last couple of tanks on pure interstate runs have averaged near 18.5 and 18.8 mpg. Now I don't use the same pump, same direction, and i do top mine up to the next even dollar on the pump so this is not exact but repetitive with 2 or 3 tenths of a mile. This is 1 mile per gallon more than I was getting on straight #2. I did install a comp about the same time so I don't know if that is making a difference or not. I mostly running with it off for now until I replace the clutch. Sometimes I turn it on 1X1 but even that low it will slip the clutch when the turbo spools and the foot is to the floor. All that is another story but It is another variable.  

While working in Augusta Ga I started stopping at a Love's travel center. I noticed the they have a B-20 sticker on their pumps. I have been running it now for about 2 months without 2 stroke and the truck idles noticeably quieter. A typical tank of fuel that was using making the run home and driving at work consisted of 150 miles around town and 450 miles on the interstate running mostly 75 to 80 mph. I was getting about 17.5 mpg consistently on these runs. The last couple of tanks on pure interstate runs have averaged near 18.5 and 18.8 mpg. Now I don't use the same pump, same direction, and i do top mine up to the next even dollar on the pump so this is not exact but repetitive with 2 or 3 tenths of a mile. This is 1 mile per gallon more than I was getting on straight #2. I did install a comp about the same time so I don't know if that is making a difference or not. I mostly running with it off for now until I replace the clutch. Sometimes I turn it on 1X1 but even that low it will slip the clutch when the turbo spools and the foot is to the floor. All that is another story but It is another variable.  

Apparently biodiesel blends are the cats *** for common rail trucks. You are not the first person to mention gains with the new fuel blends but I will say this is the first time have heard B20 MPG gains.

Now if you'd slow down to 65mph;  you'd be 20+mpg or higher!!!

Apparently biodiesel blends are the cats *** for common rail trucks. You are not the first person to mention gains with the new fuel blends but I will say this is the first time have heard B20 MPG gains.

The stations where I normally buy fuel from DO NOT specify the EXACT amount of BIO in their diesel.  There's just a "generic" sticker on the pump that says the diesel being pumped can be anywhere from 5-20%BIO.  Doesn't phase me one bit any longer....................I still add my 16oz. of 2 stroke and fill the tank where ever I'm at!!!

The stations where I normally buy fuel from DO NOT specify the EXACT amount of BIO in their diesel.  There's just a "generic" sticker on the pump that says the diesel being pumped can be anywhere from 5-20%BIO.  Doesn't phase me one bit any longer....................I still add my 16oz. of 2 stroke and fill the tank where ever I'm at!!!

I hear you. If the fuel station has no sticker its usually between 2 and 5% biodiesel. B5 is the most common blend I know of so far along with B15. I personally will not fuel up with B15 or higher if I can avoid it. 

I have made a couple long runs a year or so ago around 65 mph and got 20 mpg. i would like to make a run like that again when it presents itself. Who knows maybe I could see 21+. I know it is a poor excuse but when making a weekend trip home on Friday with 500 or more miles to drive 65 just does not cut it. I like making good time, just dont want to be the fastest man on the interstate.

All the stickers I see B-5, 15 and 20 say that they may contain up to 5 or 15 or 20%. That does leave you guessing some what. I was putting 16 oz's in with it until one day I did not have any on the truck and tried it without it. That led to 4 more tanks without and it seems fine. I need to get some because it does feel better pouring in the tank.

Oh and DW, it's nice to see you still have not been able to flush that log. always liked that avatar.

I dont know how much of it is the biodiesel or maybe the comp. I started using both about the same time. Same driving habits. I am a little surprised myself.

I dont know how much of it is the biodiesel or maybe the comp. I started using both about the same time. Same driving habits. I am a little surprised myself.

It's probably the Comp.

B20 begins to loose too much BTU of heat and it jumps up a point in cetane so it's still not enough to make the engine perform any better. It's actually less powerful per cc of fuel than say B5.

I run B5 99% of the time and have had no ill effects but I have always ran ADI fuel additive. Recently I have added less of my ADI additive and a 16 Oz bottle of TC-W3 2 stroke oil and noticed a difference in sound from my VP44 in a matter of 5 mins driving down the road. So a mixture of the 2 is my new additive blend.

I normally see about 20 MPG at 75 MPH.

Edited by Vais01

It's probably the Comp.

B20 begins to loose too much BTU of heat and it jumps up a point in cetane so it's still not enough to make the engine perform any better. It's actually less powerful per cc of fuel than say B5.

I run B5 99% of the time and have had no ill effects but I have always ran ADI fuel additive. Recently I have added less of my ADI additive and a 16 Oz bottle of TC-W3 2 stroke oil and noticed a difference in sound from my VP44 in a matter of 5 mins driving down the road. So a mixture of the 2 is my new additive blend.

I normally see about 20 MPG at 75 MPH.

I have been running 2 stroke(TCW3) for about 4 years. When i first started i could hear the difference right away. Matter of fact my son and brother were both there and thought I was out of my mind. But it was very obvious to me. Since my clutch will not handle any of the power the comp gives, it stays off 85% of the time. It still does boost fooling while turned off and with the remnants of the Banks system i installed years ago it has been a help with passing and such. We will see what happens after the new clutch and I can leave it on all the time.

The only reason I will not run TC-W3 2 stroke on its own is because the additive I have been running helps with more than lubricity. Anti-algae, reducing cold FPP and can prevent gelling. The 2 stroke is a better lube but nothing more.

The additive I gave run since owning the truck is from ADI the previous owner also ran it since around the time the VP44 and the injectors were installed.

The truck has ran great until sometime late last year when I began having a fuel knock due to injector issues.

I have some 7x.009 SAC injectors from Chris at DFI and everything is back the way it was. Funny thing was the carbon would not build up around the nozzle opening when using the ADI additive. This is why I keep using it.

Edited by Vais01

I have been running 2 stroke(TCW3) for about 4 years. When i first started i could hear the difference right away. Matter of fact my son and brother were both there and thought I was out of my mind. But it was very obvious to me. Since my clutch will not handle any of the power the comp gives, it stays off 85% of the time. It still does boost fooling while turned off and with the remnants of the Banks system i installed years ago it has been a help with passing and such. We will see what happens after the new clutch and I can leave it on all the time.

I agree the audible change is definitely noticeable. What shows you how much is running an existing additive and suddenly that additive plus 16 Oz of TC-W3 makes an even more drastic difference in overall performance and sound.

The only reason I will not run TC-W3 2 stroke on its own is because the additive I have been running helps with more than lubricity. Anti-algae, reducing cold FPP and can prevent gelling. The 2 stroke is a better lube but nothing more.

The additive I gave run since owning the truck is from ADI the previous owner also ran it since around the time the VP44 and the injectors were installed.

The truck has ran great until sometime late last year when I began having a fuel knock due to injector issues.

I have some 7x.009 SAC injectors from Chris at DFI and everything is back the way it was. Funny thing was the carbon would not build up around the nozzle opening when using the ADI additive. This is why I keep using it.

I never used any additive until finding this site and started running 2 stroke after talking with the members here. Changed my stock injectors out after about 240K and found very little carbon on them. From what I have learned here the best way to get rid of carbon is to strap on a load and climb some hills. Get that egt up over 1000* and let her eat.

I never used any additive until finding this site and started running 2 stroke after talking with the members here. Changed my stock injectors out after about 240K and found very little carbon on them. From what I have learned here the best way to get rid of carbon is to strap on a load and climb some hills. Get that egt up over 1000* and let her eat.

I agree. That always helps. 

According to some research biodiesel helps with engine cleanliness. A little extra oxygen helps with combustion but it also acts like a solvent in the fuel system. Heat helps burn of carbon and in my case larger injectors I probably should blow it out weekly.  :burnout:

The ADI additive worked as advertised but from now on I will cut back on the dosage and add 16 Oz of TC-W3.

Edited by Vais01

Just get the EGTs up around 1700* like I used to :evilgrin:  My pistons were pretty clean when I pulled them!

I bet they were. 

I get the EGT's up once in a while its easy to do just mash the skinny pedal until I run out of transmission. Even still an upgraded turbo and injectors only let my EGT peak around 1300-1350 momentarily. 

Now my Quadzilla cuts the fuel off around 1400-1450. If I disable the fuel derate due to EGT then with the Quadzilla on 10 I can easily shoot the EGT's up over 1500..I wont say how far over :evilgrin:

I'm thinking ceramic pistons may be in my future.