• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Ok so about 2 months ago I resealed my hydroboost using the moparman recommended guide and solve a leak problem but before I could do that my wife drove the truck around 70 miles and 65mph or higher which lead to the death ofy original power steering pump. Having replaced the PS pump the HB unit makes lots of noise when turning the wheels and pulses the brake pedal fairly hard when the breaks are applied. I've flushed the old fluid out. Jacked the front wheels up and turned them lock to lock, and tried my best to avoid any foam. I thought the problem had been solved but a 5 minute drive proved otherwise. Any thoughts on this? Or tricks I haven't tried?

Not entirely but there was lots of fresh fluid in the pump from all the timessential it was refilled due to the hydroboost leak. So I would say the fluid was probably 75 percent new. And I forgot to mentioned if the engine is spinning more than 1100 rpms the problem almost goes away.

Not entirely but there was lots of fresh fluid in the pump from all the timessential it was refilled due to the hydroboost leak. So I would say the fluid was probably 75 percent new. And I forgot to mentioned if the engine is spinning more than 1100 rpms the problem almost goes away.

No the brakes work just fine it's the brake pedal that pulses and the steering wheel getshutters a little hard to turn until I give it some throttle then the pulsing stops the wheel turns like normal and any noise it was making stops.

Give us details on the truck.

Is the noise and pulsing only when the brakes are applied?  I had a bad rotor a few months ago and I thought it was my steering.  My pads were shot as well as the rotors.  Some of the symptoms you are I seeing are similar to what I had.

Are they any foam in P/S Canister when running engine???  Sounds like you have air in sys.. 

when you bleed the system you can't hold it against the locks any ...its best to just turn the wheel back and forth,  1/2 turns and press the brake every few seconds assuring you don't pump the canister dry before refilling... also be sure your removing the return line from the hydrboos to P/S pump to flush

i used a empty water bottle that way i can make sure I'm not pumping out more than I'm putting in

There was a little bit of foaming in the beginning but nowe there is none. I figured air is the culprit. So I should pull the return line, lift the front end, and make half turns instead of lock to lock. Also I did refill it with a low buck fluid. Could that be causing problems?

well i don't think cheep oil is issue, if bleeding doesn't do it, then.. :think: ..I 'D say if it were me i would be looking at hydra boost unit,,Makes sense that you had a leak issue, "BRAKES STEERING WAS FINE"//???/ :shrug: ...Then you "RE-SEALED IT as you stated above and now you have issue...im gonna say you missed a step or like maybe pinched a o-ring or something that making it bypass or its just crapped out IM only guessing at whats malfunctioning inside hydra boost IDK,,,,BUT I'd bet money that the hydra boost is the culprit

***P/S when you bleed it this time and you take return line off"at the PS PUMP  Make sure its the return from hydra boost unit,, it will ave clamps because its low psi.  GET SOMEONE TO PUSH BRAKE PEDAL WHILE YOU WATCH FLUID..SEE IF IT PULSATES WHEN BRAKE PEDAL IS PUSHED

IF YOU stick hose in a clear bottle you will be able to see the air..

Edited by rburks

FIND a piece of hose to slide up on the barb fitting on PS pump and then shove a bolt in the end to plug off so it won't leak and force fluid thru the booster

Micheal done a article years ago on this, thats how i knew this

Edited by rburks

• 2 weeks later...