• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

NV5600 Observation

dorkweed

Just got done changing out all the fluids on my truck.  Diffs, tranny, transfer case, coolant, power steering, blinker and engine oil.

It's been a consensus that one should overfill the NV5600 tranny by a quart for as long as I can remember.  In the service manual, it says that the tranny will hold 9.5 pints, or 4.75 quarts.  If you drain and refill on level ground until the fluid runs out the top bolt hole of the PTO cover, you'll likely only get about 4-4.25 quarts back in. 

Well when I drained mine, I let her drain over night on level ground.  Only 5 quarts drained out.  Could've sworn that I had more in there.  Anyhow;  when I refilled, this time I got 6.25 quarts in her.  Jacked up the drivers side front a bit to get it in.

Impression is that the truck shifts much more easily now.  Not that my tranny shifted hard before, but, with the 1.5 quart overfill, it is definitely different.................for the better.

I have PTO coolers on mine and between 8-9 quarts in it. It shifts great, better than most I hear, but it rattles more at idle so I may try 1 qt less at the next change.

My SB Con OFE makes a heck of a racket at idle without the clutch depressed.  Still does with more oil also.

I know the whole over filling is to makes sure the upper bearings are staying lubed. Is it possible the overfill is foaming up the fluid excessively?

It has been shown that the tranny does run warmer/hotter with the overfill, based on posts in other forums.  It's been speculated that it's either due to foaming and the oil not cooling ............or that oil is now getting to areas it didn't before and removing the heat.  I dunno.

• Staff

It has been shown that the tranny does run warmer/hotter with the overfill, based on posts in other forums. It's been speculated that it's either due to foaming and the oil not cooling ............or that oil is now getting to areas it didn't before and removing the heat. I dunno.

The oil is hotter but the bearings may not be.

I thought the reason for overfilling wasn't the upper bearings but issues with all the bearings on an incline?

• 2 weeks later...

Just got done changing out all the fluids on my truck.  Diffs, tranny, transfer case, coolant, power steering, blinker and engine oil.

It's been a consensus that one should overfill the NV5600 tranny by a quart for as long as I can remember.  In the service manual, it says that the tranny will hold 9.5 pints, or 4.75 quarts.  If you drain and refill on level ground until the fluid runs out the top bolt hole of the PTO cover, you'll likely only get about 4-4.25 quarts back in. 

Well when I drained mine, I let her drain over night on level ground.  Only 5 quarts drained out.  Could've sworn that I had more in there.  Anyhow;  when I refilled, this time I got 6.25 quarts in her.  Jacked up the drivers side front a bit to get it in.

Impression is that the truck shifts much more easily now.  Not that my tranny shifted hard before, but, with the 1.5 quart overfill, it is definitely different.................for the better.

I will be installing a set of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TDS-PTO-Cover-Blank-DIY-SAE-Transmission-Transfer-Case-USA-Made-/201409341765?vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TDS-PTO-Cover-Dodge-NV5600-Transmission-Corrects-fluid-level-USA-Made-/191669711900?hash=item2ca067b41c

on my NV5600 soon.  The oil check and fill hole has been moved up so the extra quart of oil puts the oil level up to the fill hole level. 

I am so behind with stuff I bought to put on my truck, this is just another.  I still have 2 fluid crankshaft harmonic dampers to install and 2 Mag Hytek axle covers to install.  :doh:

I will be installing a set of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TDS-PTO-Cover-Blank-DIY-SAE-Transmission-Transfer-Case-USA-Made-/201409341765?vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TDS-PTO-Cover-Dodge-NV5600-Transmission-Corrects-fluid-level-USA-Made-/191669711900?hash=item2ca067b41c

on my NV5600 soon.  The oil check and fill hole has been moved up so the extra quart of oil puts the oil level up to the fill hole level. 

I am so behind with stuff I bought to put on my truck, this is just another.  I still have 2 fluid crankshaft harmonic dampers to install and 2 Mag Hytek axle covers to install.  :doh:

I put fast coolers on mine a little while back. Adds more fluid but does not bring up the level. I just fill mine on level ground and then drive the truck to the drainage ditch and put the passenger side down and squirt in the extra. Of course checking the level later leaves a little to be desired.

As far as harmonic dampers are concerned, can you fit 2 on your truck? 

Edited by dripley

• Staff

I put fast coolers on mine a little while back. Adds more fluid but does not bring up the level. I just fill mine on level ground and then drive the truck to the drainage ditch and put the passenger side down and squirt in the extra. Of course checking the level later leaves a little to be desired.

You don't need to find a ditch, just fill the NV5600 thru the fill hole in the FAST coolers. 

No.  One for my truck and one for her's.