Jump to content

Hundai Accent... mice nest in cabin air filter


flagmanruss

Recommended Posts

Wife let Jiffy Lube check cabin air filter...  charged a rediculous amount for one...  bits of fast food napkin, wool yarn, and a purple plastic toy frog (the topic of discussion at JL) but now she knows where it is.  When she got home, we went out.  She fished through the cowel slots & got a bunch more fluff.  I think the slots in the cowel need better screening but frankly, it's the cowel drains where they are likely getting in.  I don't know where they are but it has to have them.  We've looked from under the hood...  (thankfully it seems to be blocked from the hood hinge area).  In through the wheel well.  In around the engine but pretty darn tight.  

 

Anybody know?  

 

The only idea idea I have is to pour a cup of water into each side of the cowel & see where it runs out.  Pretty rough idea.    

Edited by flagmanruss
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's not clear how the cowel comes appart.  I can see a plastic retainer on each side (push rivet) but I don't see how to separate the cover.  They must be separate pieces.  It "must" be there.  

Once the cowel cover is open, probably an easy fix.    

 

http://www.hamanual.com/cowl_top_cover_repair_procedures-1202.html

 

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/genesis-coupe/284193-cabin-air-filter-mice.html

Edited by flagmanruss
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Are you saying the top & bowl of the cowel unit are one piece?  Yeah, I'm confused.  I'm hoping the top (cover) will separate from the bowl.  I don't want to break any of the plastics. 

I'm not desirous of opening the cowel box if not necessary but I can't seem to find the drain openings I need to screen from the engine bay.   

Edited by flagmanruss
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I understand now. I was just referring to to the top cover as being one piece. It should separate from from the bottom portion you just have to be a little delicate. Some light prying might be necessary to pop out some hidden push clips. I have seen the drain hidden in the fender before.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks.  That's how I thought it should be.  Well hidden! 

I'll do more exploring.  She keeps this roller skate in motion pretty much.    

 

More links I found...  but wife's is a 2012, not 08 as pictured

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69OwfK11Y5I

Edited by flagmanruss
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Accent has got a new cabin air filter in now...  She watched & learned...  release glove box so it can drop forward & it's behind a cover behind it.  Need to protect the new filter before it gets mucked up again. 

She had Grand-kids today...  can't work on it when it's in motion!   

 

I will try to get some pictures when I get into it. 

Edited by flagmanruss
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2012 Hyundai Accent with cowl removed.  Disconnected the washer hose.  The wiper arms came off easily.  There were 4 push fasteners holding the cowl...  one at each end...  & 2 in the gutter near the center of the cowl.  It was hard to see just where the parts separated...  but I started at the ends & opened the seam as I went.  I just had to get a thin pry tool in there...  which wasn't easy.  The end fasteners were blind & broke when I tried to remove them.  The more center ones were expanders & I could reach under the lip but in the end they broke off too.  Like most modern cars, the cowl lays directly on the edge of the windshield glass & is retained with clips...  just slid forward once the fasteners were out.   

 

Once I had it appart, I got the wife to work on her car.  She chose to shop vac the debris from the cowl trough.  I had bought Scotch Brite SS scrubbing pads at Home Depot for $2.39 (3 pack)...  In the cleaning aisle, not with the steel wool.  They are smaller than I remember.   I think the only part that counts is the part in the drain hole but she chose to leave each pad in one piece even though most is in the trough.    

 

IMG_2649.jpg

IMG_2653.jpg

 

The reassembly was uneventful.  The cowl cover clipped onto the windshield edge.  Reconnected the washer hose.  The center pair of fasters, I replaced with 1/4" nuts, lock washers & bolts...  I stuck a magnet to the bolt head & it held the lock washer up for me while started the nuts.  I'm going to pick up push fasteners on Monday for the blind holes at the end.  I should have bought replacement push fasteners before starting...  the holes are a bit over 1/4". 

The cowl cover / bowl seam is hidden underneath...  it would have been more clear IF it had been apparent.  Took it slow & didn't break anything besides single use fasteners.

Edited by flagmanruss
Link to comment
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...

Advertisements and Ad Blockers

Mopar1973Man.Com uses the income from advertisers to pay the bills on the website. Please whitelist your ad blockers for Mopar1973Man.Com this will allow advertisements to display on our pages but allows you to still block ads on the other websites you visit. 

 

image.png

I will whitelist Mopar1973Man.Com