• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

My Love affair with BMW

Me78569

Well I not only have a beat up Dodge truck, but I also have a 1989 bmw 750il.   Yep quarter century old bmw v12, good choice huh hahah

I've always had a soft spot for the older BMW sedans.  I have had 

E36 318is SOOO SLOW, but ran good at 260,000 miles 

not worth a picture

E34 540i 6 speed, quick and fun had big dreams with a small wallet

bmwe34.jpg

E34 530it Awesomely fun to drive soccer mom car.  I sold it at 297,000 miles and it still ran like a tank, I later found it at a junkyard.  That hurt. If you care to read the story of this car it can be found HERE

DSC07619.jpg

and finally the current

E32 750il

Anyways I bought this car from my farther in law for $250 in none running condition.  It needed some serious help.  

Some specs.

- m70 5.0l v12 SOHC

- 300 hp 300 ft/lb

- #4000+ worth of German metal

- Reclining rear seats

- all seats heated

- self leveling suspension

Anyways here's how I got it

20131019_163335_zps388b248a.jpg

Parked at it's new home

20131020_160328_zps81bd9d31.jpg

things it needed to be road ready,

- all fluids changed

- all 4 rotors turned and new brake pads

- 4 new tires

- %75 new coolant hoses ( replaced the rest shortly after)

- New head gasket on drivers side.

- Rear suspension valve re-seal and adjustment

- Headlights

- engine bay cleaning

- Some basic wiring

Paint was in 3/10 condition.

Head off

20131127_131138_zpsbf01fd2c.jpg

Brake Work

20140615_082828_zpsxasbpgej.jpeg

Back on the ground in running condition

20140716_190739_zpsxulncglv.jpg

Painted it Flat Black

20141110_073847_zpsxlngwal3.jpg

And upgraded headlights Morimoto Bixenon mini h1's ( very highly recommended)

20141114_195036_zpsxz6ynqss.jpg

Anyways all of this to get to where it is now.  Paint is starting to peel off due to me not having time to finish it...........So whats the next step?

I think camo green WWII Bomber theme needs to happen. I am thinking Shark Teeth and maybe a pin-up girl.  something like the below.

11049350_1555028301435857_832457647_n.jp

I have to say that plasti-dip is wonderful stuff.  ( nice to have a car you can do whatever you want with because you don't care about it) 

The beginning

20150812_181032_zpsbvlauz60.jpg

Edited by Me78569

I think the old girl is gonna look good with the bomber look.

I think rather than teeth the 7 needs a pin up girl.  The car isn't a fighter.

pinup-girl-on-b17-700.gif

It is a dream to drive though.   100+ mph without a sweat all day long.

• 1 month later...

It is the spray stuff.  It actually works great, little pricey, but it looks pretty dang good.

The Germans were VERY good when it comes to building a car that can be serviced.  The v12 in a car makes some things tough, like spark plugs, but they give you a special tool that allows you to do it.  People who typically say "bmw's are terrible to work on / keep running" typically have never worked on one.  The old ones (pre 2000 ish) are VERY robust and easy / cheap to keep going if you know where to get your parts.  

The Cummins has cost me much more to keep on the road compared to this 1/4 decade old german v12

• Like 2

I had a short affair with a mid 80s 318i. Fun car and super easy to work on but holy crap was that thing slow. It had been sitting for years and the mice had their way with the wiring, I would chase down one problem then the next day something else would go crazy. Cool paint scheme but I seem to remember a time when WW2 bombers and Germans didn't really get along lol.

Yea my friend is poking fun at me for paint a german car in US colors hahha..

I told him we stole it, and that his car was still on jackstands.

His thread is next to unbelievable if you care to read it.  Anything he does is %150....Give the guy a rapid prototype machine and a mill and he goes crazy.

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?1869798-93FIM5-s-1993-E34-M5-Build

I'm going to read through.

I can't pick up any more projects, but it's tempting.

Another odd car with a bad rap that is fun are the old diesel Buicks and Cadillacs. A buddy of mine collects them and they are great cars with a set of head studs.

CSM,

I'll sell you this project for $1,000 haha.  Runs great now, just needs about 6/8 more cans of plasti dip.  

I got my eye on a 96 f 350 CCLB roller in denver that I can't afford right now hahaha. 

:shifty: this 750il is a rocket ship waiting for a speeding ticket.

If I were in Colorado I'd be tempted. I may need an airport commuter car.

Not now though.

Heck, with house prices on the front range, I may be living in a camper somewhere! It's gotten nuts!

That is unereving. I just bought a 98 SL2 about 4 months ago. I aint a v12 like Nick has but that 4 cylinder screams. Of course the thing weighs almost as much as ream of paper.

It is a disposable car to me, but it won't die. It was my wife's car when we got married 5 years ago.  It is a good little car though, gets good mileage... ~35mpg.  The only issue it has is a sketchy wheel bearing and an inoperative cruise control.  

I feel like a hobo though when I show up to work, haha!  But, that is normal.  

It is a disposable car to me, but it won't die. It was my wife's car when we got married 5 years ago.  It is a good little car though, gets good mileage... ~35mpg.  The only issue it has is a sketchy wheel bearing and an inoperative cruise control.  

I feel like a hobo though when I show up to work, haha!  But, that is normal.  

The Saturn is the wifes car but i drive every once in a while and it is kinda fun except for getting my 6'4' butt in the drivers seat.

Lets just say there is more than one reason for all the work I did on the he351ve controller 

:evilgrin:

wpid-3HvFSPXh7_8.jpg

If things ever slow down for me and I get a couple grand into the project...

I dream of exotic things like this.  Unfortunately the money has yet to be consistent enough when I have time available to make it worthwhile.  

Now, if you have a $250 car though, it is a real possibility!  

As much as I wanna stick a couple of he341vgt's on that v12 I kinda doubt it would ever happen.  The point of the car is more so to keep me busy with cheap stupid things like Plasti dipping the car, and painting a pin up girl on the door.....

If I don't spent my free time doing something that is time comsuming ( without money consuming) I find myself bored and doing something stupid.