• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

1st wood fire...

JAG1

• Staff

I can't believe it is feeling so cold this morning on Aug 16th. I shut the windows and lit a small fire. Hope fall doesn't arrive early this year.

Anyone know what to do with a small amount of coal? I found about 3 buckets full. Never seen it up close before but knew what it was. I put a small chunk in the stove to see what it does. So far it doesn't lite real easy.

• Owner

Hmmm, wonder if coal is a good option from wood with cost comparisons.

In 2012, the average sales price of coal at the mine was $39.95 per ton, and the average delivered price to the electric power sector was $45.77 per ton, resulting in an average transportation cost of $5.82 per ton, or 13% of the total delivered price.

The coal mine I work for still sells to a company that sells stoker and lump coal to the public. coal furnaces are extremely common in our area and is still by far the cheapest heat source there is but it does require different furnace and maintenance depending on the type of system one uses and wether it is lump or stoker ect.

careful, some cities have banned the burning of coal in city limits. here in Flagstaff, you can't burn coal within the city but the county guys can. i think it's cause the smell.

i used it as a all night log type.. got hot fie then put as big of chunks in as i could let it burn all night.

Here one has to be a card caring native to get truck load of it.

• Like 1

In 2012, the average sales price of coal at the mine was $39.95 per ton, and the average delivered price to the electric power sector was $45.77 per ton, resulting in an average transportation cost of $5.82 per ton, or 13% of the total delivered price.

$220 a ton delivered 3 tons or more here in PA. I quit and went back to fire wood a long time ago. How do you guys get it so cheap? We mine alot of coal here and still waaaaaaay to expensive.

I can't believe it is feeling so cold this morning on Aug 16th. I shut the windows and lit a small fire. Hope fall doesn't arrive early this year.

Anyone know what to do with a small amount of coal? I found about 3 buckets full. Never seen it up close before but knew what it was. I put a small chunk in the stove to see what it does. So far it doesn't lite real easy.

Where you at?????   I thought it was hot all over the country.  99*F where I hunt in NoDak yesterday..............92*F and very humid here yesterday.............

• Staff

Where you at?????   I thought it was hot all over the country.  99*F where I hunt in NoDak yesterday..............92*F and very humid here yesterday.............

I'm in Oregon on the wet side. I have a vacation cabin, for a client, tore wide open involving a major remodel. It's tough cause weather's acting like the rains want to come a bit early this year.

My buddy uses a coal forge (and coal chicken coop heater) for his little blacksmithing shop.  His neightborhood has gone yuppy...  the neighbors call the FD every time he lights the forge.   He's grandfathered so they can't stop him.   He uses wood to heat in the house...  doesn't smoke nearly as much.  Mostly the coal smokes when getting going.  When he cranks the blower, the fire gets more air & burns cleaner & hotter.  and uses coal faster...  fire dies down while he's hammering on the anvil.  I think in a stove where the draft includes the chimney (not an open hearth forge) it burns much cleaner. 

Oh, yes, my broither burns coal in the steam locomotive (if his boss will get the bearing fixed). 

Edited by flagmanruss

Not all coal is created equally either, here in ND we have lignite which is the softest lowest quality highest moisture coal lowest BTU coal. better is bituminous and sub bituminous which is very prevelant in Wyoming and then the hardest best coal comes from the east, which is anthocite coal best for forges.