• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

stacking chips?

Hey guys. I got a 1999 24v 3500 with 5 speed w\ dual clutch. I have the banks power pack tlc. 4in. Exhaust, intake, turbo housing, banks Otto mind, gauges, bhaf, banks brake, etc. All have been installed since 2000. I would like to have selectable power levels. I like the edge comp module. Can I stack the edge with the Otto mind? I'm open to all suggestions. I'm also gonna upgrade the lift pump too. Looking at the fass adjustable lift pump . Do u guys think I should upgrade the lift pump first before I stack chips? Thanks in advance for all ur info.

Fuel pressure I'm not sure of. I just ordered an auto meter gauge, mount ,snubber ,and steel lines. I will install it soon. I do have the low pressure warning light. Would u remove the Otto mind and install the edge?

In addition to the below comments and thread, what do you want?  What are you looking to do with the truck?  

Here is a good thread to read through. It is an auto truck and not all applicable, but there is some good info in there about the fuel system.

http://forum.mopar1973man.com/index.php?/topic/10164-order-of-reliability-improvementsover-heating/

Here is MoparMan's quip

The whole fuel system weakness is the VP44 at the center. Basically there is 4 ways of killing a VP44...

1. Fuel lubricity - Bosch states in there own testing that all fuels should be at <450 HFRR but US fuels are about 520 HFRR.
  2. Fuel pressure - Dodge FSM states a minimum of 10 PSI. Unoffically we state a minimum of 14 but no higher than 20 PSI. This is to hold the overflow valve open.
  3. Fuel filtration - Extra filters or better filtration is always better for life span of parts.
  4. Power - Yes even the VP44 is sensitive to AC noise as well and should be less than 0.1 AC Volt measured at the BATT post on the alternator.
Edited by CSM

I've never used the Otto Mind, nor known anyone who has.  The basic rule of programmers and chips is that you can't stack timing.  You can stack fueling.  

For a daily driver and occasional fun, I love the smarty and TST powermax stack.  The smarty can do fuel and/or timing.  The TST just does fuel.  Edge doesn't make the comp any longer, but they do make the juice and CTS modules.  You can find good deals on used comps though.  

Edge wiretap boxes (comp, juice adrenalin/cts/ct) do fueling and timing.  They are good products, I've ran all of them.  

If you do two timing boxes at the same time, you will lose performance and probably break something.  

For fuel only, you could add a smarty or TST Powermax to your ottomind.  Smarty won't be adjustable on the fly, but the TST would.  

Edited by CSM
  • Like 1

I ran an Otto mind for about 6 years and it worked fine. I bought in their Stinger plus package. It died about 2 years ago. When it died I lost the pyro and boost gauges since they were interconnected and will not work with a different chip . I can't complain about it because it worked as advertised and i had plenty of power, 75 rwhp claimed and not far off I dont think. Do you know what package is on the truck? They sold them in 2 or 3 configs. Mine came with the gauges, exhaust housing for the turbo with a wastegate that opens around 33 or 34 psi, 4" exhaust, and I thinks that's it. 

I have since redone my gauges and bought a Edge comp from DAP just a couple months ago and Edge still advertised them on there site at that time. if the quit making them it has to be very recent. Only bad thing for me is my clutch wont hold it and it has to be replaced. So a comp might go beyond your clutch. For an example I just hauled my fifth wheel(15k#) about 400 miles with the Comp off and no problem even in 6th gear. Empty and the Comp on level 1 and sub level 1 as soon as the turbo spools the clutch slips.

I have the power pack tlc. Sounds like the same package u had. I have the orginal banks brochure from back in the day. It have all the specs and the different packages u could have gotten. ..thanks guys for ur input. I learned a bunch of stuff. The truck rips the way it is. Maybe I won't mess with it. Haha

• 1 month later...

What csm said ......on stacking

Dont know much about the banks products .... since dripley has run both he could let you know ... i would think regular Guages with a comp box hard to beat ....

I liked my smarty + juice stack combo ....

I liked my juice CTS better ;)

• Owner

I'm looking for a daily driver. Little more power to have fun. I like the economy setting too with the edge comp. Any suggestions with the Otto mind?

Daily driver eh?

I'm running Edge Comp and +50HP injectors. Stock 3" exhaust, BHAF, stock intake. Do very well at mid 20's MPG empty running. Then 11-14 MPG hauling the RV. As for power it possible to get the tires to break loose in 4th gear. Plenty of power.

At least with a Edge or Quadzilla you'll have better fuel management that stacking chips or most any programmer. Now if your 3rd Gen I would suggest Smarty over Edge or Quadzilla. Smarty in the CR engine is much better programmer and fuel management on CR engines.