• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Looking to buy 2002 2500 opinions needed (pics inside)

• Owner

Mike that's not really fair. I know you crawl under there with a toothbrush.

No I don't. :ashamed:  I just make sure to rinse the underside off once a week even in the bitter cold of the winter to get the mud and salt off the frame. The longer the salt and mud stays in contact with the metal the more rust is created. So it not just wash the paint but to rinse the underside too. I've worked on several local truck that look the same way because they think it looks cool to leave the mud caked in the wheel well and on the frame underneath the truck.  :rolleyes: 

That's one of the few things I do. I bring cover-alls and roll under the truck and look up. So what the interior and paint is nice... The rest of the truck needs attention.

250k miles... Idaho roads are mostly dirt. Salt used quite a bit in the winter time... Very little if any surface rust.

2yyyw7c.jpg

2552hxu.jpg

SHOW OFF  :lmao: 

Nothing to add but I'm pleased to be reminded about rust!

No salt here in Texas, no rust on the frame or body, the contrast with my 76 Chevy that "grew up" in Chicago is totally stark.  Every time I think I ought to have kept and restored it, all I have to do is think about the door skins flapping on account of the door bottoms rusting out, and replacing brake lines after they rusted out and the pedal went to the floor (exaggeration - only one of the rear lines burst, still had fronts).

Back in the day we used to brag that if they didn't rust out, we'd keep them running forever.  Didn't think about getting old, weak, achy, and having to get to work every day instead of fixing baroque cars...

Z06Frank, I hope you find a good one you like!

• Like 1

Lucky here too, they use salt and other chemicals but only on city streets and interstates, not too much outside of that but they seem to be using a bit more in recent years but it doesn't seem to bother like I does in other areas where they must use some higher octane salt lol.

I tend to hit the car washes a lot more often in the winter with the under body wash jets just to keep the excess build up of the white stuff knocked down and first thing in spring all vehicles get an intense underbody and frame wash. 

You're probably kidding but that is a good idea!  I used to fantasize about pvc pipes in a row, with squirt nozzles pointed up, in the garage, to rinse the undercarriage with hot water to wash the salt off.

Afraid of the clean (as opposed to salty) water freezing overnight and sticking the truck in place.  The old Chev, this was BC (before Cummins).

• Like 1

Truck looks clean EXCEPT for

20150818_131620.jpg

I see 2 issues here. First the frame does look pretty rusty.....never seen a 2nd gen dodge without the front section covered in oil......I mean anti rust.

Without being able to look close tho I don't know how bad it is. The bottom of the bed and the rear of the truck look normal with surface rust.

I agree that maybe it was in a wreck. I see what could be junkyard markings on the fan shroud, which could mean it was busted up in the front. I would look for signs of a new intercooler and radiator.

Secondly I see a shock that BADLY needs to be replaced. Not a huge deal but strikes me as odd that the rest of the truck would be so clean, yet a $20 shock hasn't been done.

Other than that it seems like the first truck for sale with a sensible price I have seen in awhile.

I agree. From the picture this looks to be rust perforation. If that is the case I would shy away from the truck. A welder can weld in a patch using some 1/8 inch sheet steel but it is not something you should want to do to ensure the trucks longevity.