• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

47RE build suggestions

I've read Dynamic's posts about not using Alto Red frictions and steels, so what else do I need to know? I'll be doing it myself (with the assistance of a Chrysler master transmission tech) in a nice, clean, air-conditioned garage, and I'll be pressure-washing the underside of the truck and the transmission case once it's out.

Problems currently are no 1-2 shift unless I lift completely off the throttle, and a leaky rear seal. The kickdown lever is broken, which allows the 2nd gear band to float free above the drum.  2-3 and 3-4 are essentially normal shifts.

I've already got an FTI single-disc converter and a Suncoast billet governor solenoid plate and oversized/GM solenoid.

I don't realistically see the truck ever being modified to make more than 350-400hp.

So, what parts should I use? Does anyone make a decent, comprehensive kit that includes all the gaskets, seals, etc. in addition to the recommended Raybestos "hi-energy" clutches? What about oversized pistons/servos and accumulators? Any upgrades to 48RE hard parts that can be done while it's apart?

I have no desire or intention to open up the overdrive section of the trans.

So, suggestions/tips/recommendations?

Raybestos or Borg Warner blue or green clutches, I think I have blues in mine, when they rebuilt it last year. I've been to 3 different tranny shops and my local guy all said run blue or green frictions, good for at least 500 hp. Add an extra friction somewhere, not sure. May not need it with a single disc, but a billet/forged input shaft is always a safe bet. Upgraded lever and anchor, billet servo and piston (not oversized), the stock ones are plastic. Aftermarket pan with a drain plug. Upgraded valve body. After botching my shift kit, I would recommend just having someone do it or buy a unit from a dealer who tests the valve body before shipping it. Upgraded planetary, stock is 4 pinion, I forget if I have a 5 or 6. I'm not sure what parts are in my tranny, but I know Sonnax makes billet servos, etc. DTT has servo/piston packages. Heavy duty flexplate. "High energy" bands.  

I'll be going through my 47RE here shortly and was wondering who's got a good master rebuild kit? Talked to a local guy last week who used to be the transmission tech for the local Dodge dealer and he suggested Kevlar clutches and band... I'm not looking for 500 horsepower just want to build a nice towing rig, 350hp or so. 

You will want a billet flex plate, and billet input shaft. Because when these fail on a built auot usually they trash the pump.

I would suggest you also get billeted 2nd gear acculator, and the front servo accumlator that is also metal, alot of the subtle shuttle shfting is due to these parts leaking fluid past the rings.

I also recomment the planetary from the 48re as it is steel and better built.

I urge you to reconsider the overdrive unit, these are a known weak point, and once you remove the rest of the slack a worn O/D unit will show its true colors.

I would recommend buying a prebuilt valve body, unless you are good with the TFOD kit. I do recommend however that you get the Sonnax (i can't remember the name) valve that allows for circulaton in park.

When it is all said and done, you need to see somewhere around 75-80psi in the valve body at idle and around 150-180 driving. Anything more or less will be bad. You don't race so i agree with not using the red clutches.

Unfortunately there is no money in the budget for a $700 billet input shaft, unless you know of one in the $400 range.

My valve body was done by a longtime friend of my father who has built Mopar race trannies for almost 40 years. It's a Superior kit. I'm not planning to redo the valve body.

I have no idea what's involved in installing the 48re planetary set. Is it a simple drop-in, or is machining of the drum required?

Unfortunately there is no money in the budget for a $700 billet input shaft, unless you know of one in the $400 range.

My valve body was done by a longtime friend of my father who has built Mopar race trannies for almost 40 years. It's a Superior kit. I'm not planning to redo the valve body.

I have no idea what's involved in installing the 48re planetary set. Is it a simple drop-in, or is machining of the drum required?

What are your power goals?

RV275s, a Smarty and maybe an HY35...

As far as turbos go an HY35W is too small for all this without the possibility of lifting the head from high drive pressures. Also an HY35W does not have enough flow to keep up with the fuel demands of anything over the RV275's. 

Do you plan on working the truck? (towing heavy or light)

I'd be careful about the input with the smarty. The smarty is known for a harsh torque curve off idle.

Cajflynn, our old million miler used to say that even billet inputs will fail eventually if you tow heavy and drove far enough.

Edited by CSM
  • Like 1

01 and 02 had torque management i believe, does the smarty bypass that?

What about replacing the old cooler lines? Is there a source for OEM, or an aftermarket option? I've read some about replacing with rubber lines, any experience with that around here?

Edited by 440Rat

• Owner

01 and 02 had torque management i believe, does the smarty bypass that?

What about replacing the old cooler lines? Is there a source for OEM, or an aftermarket option? I've read some about replacing with rubber lines, any experience with that around here?

Smarty does not completely only partially remove torque management. As for complete removal look up the RadBox.

Daily driver, sees about 5-7k miles towing a year. Probably 1/2-3/4 of that is a 13k 5th wheel, rest is a 20' flatbed with car/truck/50hp loader on it.

From what I am reading do a good solid rebuild order a Goerend valve body with GM solenoid upgrades.

I'd say a 1500 RPM stall converter triple disk converter to handle the extra power. Also you will need billet shafts if your planning on keeping this thing together while towing heavy.

Call Goerend Transmission they can line you out and I am willing to bet they tell you something very similar.

Edited by Vais01