• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Help....Know just enough to be dangerous and having problems

Howdy All,

I have a 2wd 01 2500 5.9 with very few modifications.  Primarily an Airdog Raptor FRRP  a K&N filter and a 5" turbo back exhaust.  I normally run 1oz/gal of Walmart 2 stoke oil in my fuel and my truck as been an absolute workhorse and has run super smooth....until this morning.

I filled up with fuel yesterday and ran about 65 miles.   This morning, I headed out to the hunting property.  As I got onto the highway and accelerated, my truck started "stutering" (for lack of a beter term) as the RPM climbed.  I pulled off of the highway, and put the truck in neutral.  With the truck in neutral, I slowly reved the motor up to 4500 RPM and it went up nice and smooth.  I put the truck back in gear and took it over to my local O'reilys just to be where I could get stuff if necessary.  I first checked my transmission fluid thinking that it might be that.  It was a little bit low but not much.  I added 300ml just to be on the safe side and headed back home.  Shifts were still erratic and the truck was still stuttering.

I spoke with a good friend over the phone and he mentioned that it could be a fuel issue.  I pulled the fuel filter to give it a quick look and didn't find anything glaring or big in the filter or in the fuel drained from the bowl.

I went in to read a few articles on what it might be and someone mentioned that, even if you just changed the filter recently, try putting a new one in.  I decided to give this a try and hopped in to go up to my local NAPA around the corner from the house.  BRAIN FART!!!  I forgot to reprime the bowl and fuel system before driving.  Needless to say, I ran my VP and cylinders dry....ARRRRGH!!!!!

I pushed the truck back home, broke loose 1,3 & 4 and commenced to restarting the truck.  It took a bit longer than norma but finally caught and ran rough, as it has in the past when repriming.   I tightened up my injectors but it never smoothed out.    I cracked 1&3 loose again and let it run rough of a few minutes to push air out.  Re-tighten again and nothing.   I bumped my starter and bled off the pressure test port on the VP44 to ensure that air wasn't trapped there.   Restart and I have a smoother idol but ZERO Pedal....Dead.....Deceased......PUSHING UP THE PROVERBIAL DAISIES!!

I attempted a ECM reset for pedal top/bottom but it makes not difference.

I finally decided to stop doing anything further with it until I had a chance to hear from folks who know a lot more than me.

Current state is that it will idol smooth at 800rpm but pedal might get it to 9-1100rpm max and it turns rough rough rough.

PLEASE GIVE ANY ADVICE YOU CAN.  I got laid off from the oilfield last month and really need to have a running vehicle to have any chance at finding work again.

Any and all help is highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Doc 

Hello and welcome. The first thing I recommend is to check for trouble codes. Most auto parts will have you one can borrow with a deposit. You can use the key trick on an 01, though it does not always read both computers. Turn the switch on off, on off, on leaving the key in the on position. Do not start the truck just cycle the switch. Then look at the odometer and it will display the codes. You should see P ECU then the codes, then P PCU and the codes, then P done. If you see P done after P ECU then you will need a scanner. The codes will help point you in the proper direction of what might be wrong. With out them we are just guessing.

Also If you would go to your profile and click edit profile there is a signature heading were you can enter the info on your truck, mods and such. That way all can see what you are working with.

Definitely be checking them trouble codes. On a side note, do you happen to know what your fuel pressure getting to the VP looks like? That might help decide what kind of shape the VP is in. The airdogs are known as of late to fail pretty rapidly. If we knew the idle and also WOT fuel pressure getting to the VP, that would help a lot.

Because it will idle, but have problems with anything above idle, I kind of like to think that it is a fuel delivery issue for sure.

Thanks for the input Gents,

So far, I have only Key Checked the codes and just get a P1693.  I will need to rent a computer for the rest.

I left the batteries disconnected for a full hour and then performed a ACDS reset with no change.....except that I now get a Check Engine light as well as the P1693 now.

Will be renting a computer in a little while to see what I can find out.  I will also try and rent a fuel pressure test guage as well.

So bummed.

Doc

Thanks for the input Gents,

So far, I have only Key Checked the codes and just get a P1693. I will need to rent a computer for the rest.

I left the batteries disconnected for a full hour and then performed a ACDS reset with no change.....except that I now get a Check Engine light as well as the P1693 now.

Will be renting a computer in a little while to see what I can find out. I will also try and rent a fuel pressure test guage as well.

So bummed.

Doc

What Doc means it the APPS reset.

Howdy Gang,

So, I just borrowed a scanner and got :

P0253 - Fuel Injection Pump Valve Open Circuit

P0251-Mechanical Malfunction Fuel Valve Feeback Ciruit

P1688 - Internal Fuel Injection Pump Controller Failure

P0252 - Fuel Valve Signal Missing

Is this fixable or am I looking at buying a VP44?

Thanks,

Doc

Edited by recondoc

Looking like the VP might be shot. I would get with Mike or someone a bit more knowledgeable then me to be sure though. Before you pull the trigger on a new VP I would get your lift pump situation figured out first though.

Just a thought, I wonder if these codes could be set by running it out of fuel?? I am not sure about it. You might clear them and see if they come back after running it for a bit.

Howdy Gang,

So, I just borrowed a scanner and got :

P0253 - Fuel Injection Pump Valve Open Circuit

P0251-Mechanical Malfunction Fuel Valve Feeback Ciruit

P1688 - Internal Fuel Injection Pump Controller Failure

P0252 - Fuel Valve Signal Missing

Is this fixable or am I looking at buying a VP44?

Thanks,

Doc

Looking like a new VP. Seems the internal electronics have had enough. We will get you back up and running buddy. 

• Staff

To be pro-active against common problems with these trucks you need;
Fuel pressure gauge kept above 14 at all times
An alternator that throws out little AC noise (below .1 volts ac)
Good grounding, good batteries, good connections.

Timbo APPS.
Fuel filter prior to lift pump to catch sediment.
My personal preference is getting rid of the intank screens.
Also check for a vacuum hiss sound right after a run slowly removing the fuel cap. Hiss means a clogged tank vent making the lift pump work harder. Poss. fuel starvation.

Unrelated to your codes, just some info.

How many miles.?

• Staff

I've heard of guys pulling the wiring harness connector a couple times to help clean the contacts and then use dialectric grease. There is a trick to unlocking it but cannot remember.

Hope someone will add... but, I think you pull a small lock tab but don't go by my word.

Will be checking it this morning. So far this morning, I took one friends advice and cleared the codes I was getting with the scanner, restarted the truck and then checked to see which codes returned.  Only returning code is:

1688 - Internal Fuel Injection Pump Controler Failure.

Doc

Checked out the harness connections.  Everyting is nice, clean and snug.

Such is life.  Looks like I'm probably shopping for a VP44 soon.

I believe is was Prince who penned "This is what it sounds like when your pump dies"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CseG6T4W7Y

I'm in mourning this morning.

Doc

Edited by recondoc

• Owner

Every one of those codes is a electronics failure code of the VP44 PSG unit which is most likely caused by bad alternator diode. I highly suggest to have the alternator test for AC noise levels (normal is 0.01-0.02 or 10-20 mV AC). Because if you change the VP44 without checking it could and will destroy the new pump in a quick hurry.

Every one of those codes is a electronics failure code of the VP44 PSG unit which is most likely caused by bad alternator diode. I highly suggest to have the alternator test for AC noise levels (normal is 0.01-0.02 or 10-20 mV AC). Because if you change the VP44 without checking it could and will destroy the new pump in a quick hurry.

Mr Mopar1973man last I heard from a pump builder is this is common due to high temps in the VP44. Chances are the the lift pressure was below 14 PSI.

Fuel temp in my pump averages 160 degrees.

Edited by Vais01