• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

engine dies after hard acceleration, hard start/no start after

Having an issue and just starting to look for the cause. Have a 1999 24v with a 5 speed transmission that will shut down after you let off the accelerator when you accelerate hard. After it dies you have to crank the engine excessively to get it to restart. At times it won't restart unless you pull/coast start it or bleed the injector lines.

I bet it's getting air in the system or it isn't seeing 17 psi.

What lift pump?

How is the fuel px gauge run? Does it show quick drops at the pump or does it take 2 sec to bleed down?

Id hot wire the fuel pump at the under hood relay and if it still dies I would suspect air being pushed forward.

I dont want to condemn your VP, but mine did this exact same thing before I changed out the VP. The problem went away with a new pump. I didnt have any codes either. I think it was just the timing piston or whatever in the VP getting stuck.

I would just pop the clutch while I was still coasting and the truck would fire right back up.

I dont want to condemn your VP, but mine did this exact same thing before I changed out the VP. The problem went away with a new pump. I didnt have any codes either. I think it was just the timing piston or whatever in the VP getting stuck.

I would just pop the clutch while I was still coasting and the truck would fire right back up.

Not necessarily a VP issue. Several things can cause the truck to suddenly loose power or shut down. Edited by Vais01

Yes I have attempted to pull the codes and there were none. Had the vp44 thought myself but what doesn't make sense is why you either have to coast start it or bleed the injectors to get it started. The last time it died was when my dad was just starting to get the sled moving in a truck pull, let the clutch out to quick and it stalled, would crank but not start. Ended up having to pull start it

Yes I have attempted to pull the codes and there were none. Had the vp44 thought myself but what doesn't make sense is why you either have to coast start it or bleed the injectors to get it started. The last time it died was when my dad was just starting to get the sled moving in a truck pull, let the clutch out to quick and it stalled, would crank but not start. Ended up having to pull start it

Sounds like it has something in a line plugging it on the suction side of the lift pump or something is allowing air to be drawn into the system again this would be on the suction side.

No codes mean she's starving for fuel. Check all your suction side lines from the tank to the lift pump.

Industrial Injection Hotrod VP44 or someone else's?

Edited by Vais01

What size injectors do you have?

If they are larger than stock it's possible you're using every bit of fuel in the VP then when you take your foot completely off of the throttle it "air locks" it. In other words it's normal, you just have to let off the throttle easier.

The truck I have the issue with is not in my signature. It's a 1999 and if my memory is correct it is a scheid pump.

Ok pull the filters, check fuel lines, from the tank to the pump, if it has a draw straw you may need to drop the tank it is possible it was installed incorrectly causing a bubble and lastly as TFaoro said check the injector size although the only way I see this possible is if they are running a custom tune with a crap ton of pump stretch. If there is a Quadzilla there this is possible. Let us know what you find or if a Quadzilla is there. For Quad help PM me I'd rather not give out too many tuning parameters over the net.

Mine will do it if I go from WOT to completely off the throttle and the TST is on. It doesn't quite die, but it sputters and almost dies for a few seconds.

That is too much duration and the VP is being bleed dry or the injection plunger fails to get a full load. All this will do is produce more smoke, heat due to poor atomization.

I can set my Quadzilla on kill and dump the throttle after being wide open and it won't sputter or die. My turbo does not bark either just a whoosh of air back through.

Edited by Vais01

I wouldn't say it's too much... it's just what happens when you're fueling hard at high RPMs. Nature of the beast when it comes to the VP.

I will say anything is possible but a good VP44 with enough supply pressure shouldn't cut out after a hard run. Just thinking about it a little more the VP nearly stops fueling when you lift from the throttle but comes back in and fuels before idle speed around 1100 rpm. This is leading me to believe the VP or something electronically is not commanding the VP to begin fueling again or it is hesitating.

I'd have a hard look at the electrical and the fuel system something is not adding up.

Does the truck have larger than stock fuel lines?