• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

engine dies after hard acceleration, hard start/no start after

Has 150 hp injectors and an edge comp. Last time it was set on level 3 when it died. I am not sure if it matters but it has died while accelerating when trying to take off pulling a sled. Fuel filters are new and has the drawstraw 5 for the tank pickup.

This is great info and helps alot.

If it died under acceleration trying to move the sled I would definitely have a look at your suction side of your fuel system. Something is not right, sounds like your getting air within the system. You may need to back blow the lines to be sure they are not plugged up. If you do this only use 10 PSI so you don't hurt anything and don't blow through the lift pump.

I've done that.  Shocked me the first time and I thought I fried my pump.  I stood on it with an edge comp-smarty stack and let off quickly at about 35mph.  

Crack an injector, spin it, restart it, and learn to roll off the throttle a bit or learn to blip when you stop pulling.  Basically you can make the VP44 lose prime by going from full flow and high boost to idle too fast.  In a lot of pulling videos you will see guys stop pulling then see their trucks snort once or twice before idling smooth. They are stabbing the throttle.

I pulled the truck twice about 40 minutes before my dad went to pull. I had zero issues other than picking the wrong gear. He hooked to the sled and the truck died before it moved 10 feet, didn't even have the clutch fully engaged.

I did find another issue tonight, the holder for the crank sensor was stored open and allowing the sensor to move in and out about 1/88 of an inch. Replaced the sensor hold down, had a bolt break off in the starter so didn't get it started but going to pull again Friday night so we will see what happens.

• 2 years later...

It's pretty common. There's at least a few threads about it on this site alone. Happened to me once. One theory, that I particularly like, is that while standing on the throttle, maybe timing is a little too advanced, pressures in the cylinder are very high. While cylinder pressures are still high, and you let off the throttle very abruptly, the pressure in the cylinder may overcome the injector, and backfeed air into the fuel line.

I'm not saying that this is for sure the problem, as I think there are multiple schools of thought for this. I'm not 100% sold on it, but it has some merit. All I know is I bled my fuel lines and it never happened again. I have also since raised my injector pop pressure, maybe that's coincidental.

Try not to let off the go-pedal too fast, and carry a 3/4 wrench with you. I've learned not to let off too fast in most cases anyway, because I don't like to bark my turbo.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Owner

30 PSI of boost and just compression will produce 1,100 PSI of cylinder pressure without fuel injected. Add heavy shot of fuel and advanced timing I'm pretty sure at some point the injectors could be overwhelmed by cylinder pressures more so with high boost runs. This why you see drivers throttle tap couple of time after a drop of throttle to keep fuel flowing till cylinder pressures fall.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

10 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

30 PSI of boost and just compression will produce 1,100 PSI of cylinder pressure without fuel injected. Add heavy shot of fuel and advanced timing I'm pretty sure at some point the injectors could be overwhelmed by cylinder pressures more so with high boost runs. This why you see drivers throttle tap couple of time after a drop of throttle to keep fuel flowing till cylinder pressures fall.

reading through the thread, this is the thought i had as well, with enough PSI the injectors work both ways lol