• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Filter sources

angus

I`m wanting to switch to a fleetgard stratapore oil filter in my next oil change.. I also have Donaldson fuel and W/S.

Geno`s carries Fleetgard oil filters but I`d like to find someplace that carries the Donaldson products as well.

http://www.genosgarage.com/product/ff5320/fuel-filters  Wondering how this compares to the Don 3 micron?

Edited by angus

• Staff

If you are looking at the FF5320 I am guessing you have been running a P551313?? The 5320 is 5µ and the P551313 is 3µ. Fleetguard has a new 3µ filter that I am running, the FF5814.

What have you been running for a oil filter until now?

The Fleetguard Stratapore is a good filter but not great. I have yet to find a filter that beats the Donaldson DBF7349. It has better flow ratings (2.5x the Fleetguard) and micron ratings than the Fleetguard. 

I get most of my filters from filterspro.com. I have found them to be the cheapest around. They don't carry the FF5814 and I have to get that from my local Cummins shop. 

• Like 1

If you are looking at the FF5320 I am guessing you have been running a P551313?? The 5320 is 5µ and the P551313 is 3µ. Fleetguard has a new 3µ filter that I am running, the FF5814.

What have you been running for a oil filter until now?

The Fleetguard Stratapore is a good filter but not great. I have yet to find a filter that beats the Donaldson DBF7349. It has better flow ratings (2.5x the Fleetguard) and micron ratings than the Fleetguard. 

I get most of my filters from filterspro.com. I have found them to be the cheapest around. They don't carry the FF5814 and I have to get that from my local Cummins shop. 

Sorry so late to get back to this post,  I have been totally preoccupied.

For oil I have been running a Baldwin BT7349 for the last three years or so.  I`m just wondering if there is something better out there.

For Fuel My BD lift pump came with a P551315 particulate filter and a P550550 water fuel seperator.

I like the Donaldson filters, and If their oil filters are as good as the fuel ?  I think I`ll just go exclusive with them.  I`m not interested in going with a bypass system and i don`t mind spending the money every 7,000 for the best oil and the best filter.

I just googled the oil filter and came up with a ELF7349???  Its kind of strange it shares the same number as the Baldwin filter??  

Anyway.. It looks like a nice piece.

Edited by angus

Checked out Filterspro and settled on the Blue DBL 7349.  After reading countless articles on motor oil.. I am changing from Valvoline 15w-40w blue to Rotella T6 5w-40w synthetic. The main reason is the cold start up protection of the 5w-40w.

My average mileage per year is about 10k. From what I`m reading, I should be able to stretch the 7k interval to 10 and still be well within the safe limits with this filter and the T6.

I`m thinking I should go ahead and do an oil analysis now to verify the results.. any suggestions on a OA vendor??

• Staff

I have pretty much changed over to Baldwin filters across the board.  They are every bit as good as the Fleetguard filters but cost a good bit less.  I buy mine by the case at

www.bfwebexpress.com

Yes and No.

Baldwin is often better than Fleetguard in terms of fuel/water separation but they are not always better in terms of final filtration.

The PF7977 is better for f/w separation and final filtration than the Fleetguard, but the BF7633 falls a bit short of the FF5320 in terms of final filtration. The BT7349 isn't even close to as good of filter as the Donaldson, nor the Fleetguard Stratapore. The BT7349 is an entry level filter.

There isn't one company that is just better at all filters, which is why I run 2 Baldwin and 1 Fleetguard fuel filters, a Donaldson oil filter, a Donaldson coolant filter, and a Mopar air filter. It doesn't take much time to find the best filter for each application, nor to buy them.

As for UOA I have been very happy with Oil Analyzers Inc and less than impressed with Blackstone.

I bought a uoa kit from Geno's along with a new crankcase breather. The uoa kit says its prepaid but doesn't specify which lab they use? About 23 bucks.. I figure its a good time to get a baseline from the bt7349 with 15w-40w vs the dbl7349 with t6

• Staff

I bought a uoa kit from Geno's along with a new crankcase breather. The uoa kit says its prepaid but doesn't specify which lab they use? About 23 bucks.. I figure its a good time to get a baseline from the bt7349 with 15w-40w vs the dbl7349 with t6

Make sure it gives you TBN. Without TBN, IMHO, the UOA is useless as TBN is as important at the remaining tests combined.