• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

XRF Balljoints

I think you are right about Carli. When I saw the price i knew they were out of my league. i read about them and never looked to see if they had them for my truck.  Dyntrac makes them for the 2nd gen except for 00-02. There price turned me off too.

Just to humor myself I searched for Mopar OE ball joints. part # 501511AA. Found them on many "Genuine Mopar" wholesale sites, no picture or desciption from $135 to $165. Amazon being the cheapest. This is the lower ball joint didn't try to find the upper. My OE's were sealed and the Spicer I found is grease able. So while Spicer may be the OE manufacturer the joints I found are not OE. My sealed OE's lasted 200k and the Moog grease able lasted 80k though I probably did not grease them that often. So I guess I am going to pick one, stick them in and keep my fingers crossed.

• Like 1

Well, I've finally made up my mind. Checked E-Bay and I can get OEM Spicer un-greaseables for $85 shipped, Thats cheaper than NAPA and the last ones went 125k. And the Spicer axle joint for about $45. This is for my early axle. I did not see a listing for the 2000 and up Dana 60.

• Staff

Be careful, Source Automotive told me Spicer makes two grades, one from China cheaper and still makes the good USA made ones more expensive. I recommend not going cheap with the tough job of BJ replacement.

You want the greasables. My original ungreasables were dry and rusty at 65k miles. wouldn't have happened had I had the opportunity to service them.

My original non greasers have 125k and just a bit of play. Dripley got around 200k on his oem non greasers which is why I think oem is the best bet. How's one to know if China or not?

I actually did not replace them until 240k. But the steering was loose to say the least. I have found some Mopar "OEM" lowers at $135 each. If knew for sure they were the same i would most likely buy them. I would add while most everything on the front end was worn out, nothing ever failed.

• Staff

Why were my oems dry and rusty at 65 k then :think: ?? Truck was a grocery getter for about 75 % of the time.. It's possible that my 02 was at the tail end of the second gen builds that Dodge put the cheapies on there or never greased them originally. Just no answer for this premature wear.

Like Source automotive said, you have a choice with Spicer brand the less expensive ones or the USA choice. Source automotive only works on Dodge pick ups and they did me a good job recommending the greasers. My lowers are also greasable

• Like 1

Why were my oems dry and rusty at 65 k then :think: ?? Truck was a grocery getter for about 75 % of the time.. It's possible that my 02 was at the tail end of the second gen builds that Dodge put the cheapies on there or never greased them originally. Just no answer for this premature wear.

Like Source automotive said, you have a choice with Spicer brand the less expensive ones or the USA choice. Source automotive only works on Dodge pick ups and they did me a good job recommending the greasers. My lowers are also greasable

I cant explain why. Why do some folks say they can get 80k, 90k out of set tires when I am lucky to 65k out of a set of Michelins?

I will go with sealed if i am convinced they are of good quality. Mainly because I will not grease them regularly. A personal issue. 

Edited by dripley
  • Like 1

Jag is your sport 4wd with the Dana 60 axle?

• Owner

I've got no issues with grease-able parts. Typically they get hit with a grease gun every oil change. They trick is to make sure you don't over do the amount of grease on some parts. (Blow the grease out). Like on my sealed parts I've got a grease needle and been capable of reloading the rubber balloon with grease every few years. Still got factory OE tie rods yet.

• Staff

Jag is your sport 4wd with the Dana 60 axle?

I can't answer because I never learned how to tell which Dana axle I have.

In order for me to grease the lower BJ's I have to jack the front wheels off the ground turn the wheel away from the side that I'm on and spin the hub till the U joint knuckle is out of the way. Then remove the little grease cap and place a temporary angled grease zirk on there. Then put the cap back on. I know, it's more work but feel better knowing they can't get dry and rusty like before.

So you guys that like the nongreasable..... Are you saying they are sealed better? That dirt and water is better sealed out? I've heard that before but when mine failed so early I decided otherwise.

My First gen everything is greasable and all parts are over 400k.

I can't answer because I never learned how to tell which Dana axle I have.

In order for me to grease the lower BJ's I have to jack the front wheels off the ground turn the wheel away from the side that I'm on and spin the hub till the U joint knuckle is out of the way. Then remove the little grease cap and place a temporary angled grease zirk on there. Then put the cap back on. I know, it's more work but feel better knowing they can't get dry and rusty like before.

So you guys that like the nongreasable..... Are you saying they are sealed better? That dirt and water is better sealed out? I've heard that before but when mine failed so early I decided otherwise.

My First gen everything is greasable and all parts are over 400k.

There is a sticker on my glove box door the identifies both axles. Front Dana 60/2, rear Dana 80. should be one in yours I would think.

My Moog lowers have the zerk sticking out on an angle for greasing.

I have had good luck with the sealed stuff on this truck and that is why I would like to have them back, especially if I can get another 200k+ out of them. I stll have the sealed factory you joints all the way around with 350k miles. But who is to say that the OEM parts you buy today are really the same part they used back in 01 when the truck was built.

• Staff

:shrug: Thanks Dave, I'll take a look at my glove box sticker and post back.

About what the factory uses... I have a friend that has the latest gen Dodge Cummins. Supposed to be nearly the same front end as the 2nd gens and 3rd gens with some changes for the better as you go later models. However, the newest generation Dodge front end steering has caused some deaths, as I understand, there is a big lawsuit and recall on it.

Read the sticker, it's pretty wore off so difficult to tell, but, looks like it says M60 or something. I have a camper package, does that mean I could have a bigger axle?