• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

XRF Balljoints

Finally got em in. Was not too bad a job really. I had never seized the hub when I replaced it so that came apart easy after I had the bolts out. Not sure why they where so tight. I also soaked everything with PB Blaster every week for 4 weeks prior to doing the job so that helped too. It still took a 3 foot pipe on the end of my H.F. breaker to get the bottom nut loose. Say what you want about H.F. but my stuff has never let me down . I also used the ball joint press from them which worked great. The only thing I could have used was a 2.25" I.D. x 3" long tube but I made it work. Put some pressure n the joint and tap on the side of the casting to help free the joint and you won't kill your press.  . With my 99 the joints are in the knuckle so I could take the whole thing and put it in a vise to remove the joints.  post-532-0-56951900-1443721248_thumb.jpg. Put a new inboard rotor on while I was in there since it all has to come apart to change rotors on a 99 and put it back together using the torque sequence in the supplied instructions and done. Now..... where did I put my beer :rolleyes:

Edited by dave110

Ha, Ha, but seriously, the road salt does wreak havoc on the wooden buggy wheels and steel rims. Salt shrinks the wood and they need to refit the rim on. Blacksmith has a special tool he showed me to do the job. Kinda makes ball joints seem easy :)

Ha, Ha, but seriously, the road salt does wreak havoc on the wooden buggy wheels and steel rims. Salt shrinks the wood and they need to refit the rim on. Blacksmith has a special tool he showed me to do the job. Kinda makes ball joints seem easy :)

I hear you there. Salt dries up just about everything and swells steel up with rust. Seems a great solution would be to paint everything once a year.

Now I am curious to see this wagon wheel tool. 

• Owner

I've already posted Weiser Idaho salt pile.

post-1-0-30048400-1442337258_thumb.jpg

The only thing I can suggest is getting a small hone stone/brush and lightly hone out the ball joint holes to clean them up a bit. Also make sure to coat the holes with anti-seize so maybe next time its not so bad.

As for rust even though Idaho pours the salt and stone down on the highways. I lucky so for to keeping the rust at bay.

I've already posted Weiser Idaho salt pile.

The only thing I can suggest is getting a small hone stone/brush and lightly hone out the ball joint holes to clean them up a bit. Also make sure to coat the holes with anti-seize so maybe next time its not so bad.

As for rust even though Idaho pours the salt and stone down on the highways. I lucky so for to keeping the rust at bay.

Getting the joints out was really no problem. Much easier than I thought. It's not the rock salt that's so bad but the liquid pre- treat they started using a few years back. Sodium hydro chloride or something. All the DOT trucks have a big liquid tank on the back now and what ever that stuff is eats vehicles for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

• 1 month later...