• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

New CJ-4 oils in older Flat Tappet Engine

• Staff

cSt at 100°C should be very close as they are both 40 weight oils when hot.

T6 is rated at 14.2 and AME at 14.5... Seems about right on the UOA.

At 40°C the T6 is 87 to AME's 98.4 so we are starting to see the 5w vs 15w spread.

Because they are a 5w vs a 15w the cold tests are 10° C off, but at -30°C the T6 is a bit thicker than the AME at -20°C. The pour point on the T6 is 2°C colder than the AME at -40°C. Both will do well in the subzero temps. 15w conventional oil will not do well subzero.

cSt at 100°C should be very close as they are both 40 weight oils when hot.

T6 is rated at 14.2 and AME at 14.5... Seems about right on the UOA.

At 40°C the T6 is 87 to AME's 98.4 so we are starting to see the 5w vs 15w spread.

Because they are a 5w vs a 15w the cold tests are 10° C off, but at -30°C the T6 is a bit thicker than the AME at -20°C. The pour point on the T6 is 2°C colder than the AME at -40°C. Both will do well in the subzero temps. 15w conventional oil will not do well subzero.

Bet the AME is loaded with PAO or a group 4 base stock?

Just put this Altorfer oil in my truck with new Donaldson full flow and overfilled oil a bit and then flushed my year old bypass filter, still flowing good oil. Took about 2 quarts to flush it half way clean, called it good. Truck seems to run fine and if anything it seems quieter. I'll drive it for a month or so and do another sample, see if TAN goes down like they said it should.

Just put this Altorfer oil in my truck with new Donaldson full flow and overfilled oil a bit and then flushed my year old bypass filter, still flowing good oil. Took about 2 quarts to flush it half way clean, called it good. Truck seems to run fine and if anything it seems quieter. I'll drive it for a month or so and do another sample, see if TAN goes down like they said it should.

I would try the company AH64ID mentioned.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so after about 200 miles I took another sample to see if TAN came down. Well looks to be about same if not higher. But TBN zink and phosphorous looks pretty good, almost like amsoil did. So I think their equipment is faulty for reading TAN because even new rotella was high. 

20151017_162003.thumb.jpg.dc52ed6951c10620151017_161910.thumb.jpg.ea74eb1887230720151017_161729.thumb.jpg.dac2389a7607a4

20151017_161910.jpg

QRE which spec oil is superior, all one has to do is reference the manufacturers tests.  

Note the ISB test that is specific to CJ4 oils to ensure proper valve train lubrication.

CJ4 oils have been around nearly 2 and a half times longer than the CI4 spec. When CJ4 was introduced it was widely anticipated that a new oil would be needed for the 2010 update. That wasn't the case.

image.1561158180.jpeg

CI-4 PLUS vs. API CJ-4 Diesel Engine Tests

API CI-4 PLUS API CJ-4 Diesel Engine Test Measured Parameters Fuel Sulfur Content Comments
500PPM 15PPM
  X CAT C-13 Oil consumption and piston deposit control, iron piston   X New test, with closed crankcase ventilation
X X CAT IN Oil consumption and piston deposit control, aluminum piston X   Aluminum piston
X X Cummins ISM High temperature sludge, soot-related wear, filter plugging X   Replaces MII EGR
  X Cummins ISB Valve train wear   X New test
X X Mack T-11 Soot-related viscosity control X   Higher discrimination level
  X Mack T-12 Ring/linear wear, bearing corrosion   X New test
X X GMRFWT Soot-related wear X   Status quo
X X Navistar 7.3 L Aeration X   Status quo

Also for those that are interested, some pretty good info on the new PC11 oils

http://www.chevronlubematters.com/category/industry-matters/pc-11/#sthash.k99TxPMu.M9Z5cjhS.dpbs 

Edited by diesel4life

here are some specs, http://www.cen-pe-co.com/Product Data/S-3 Engine Oil.pdf

I'm thinking of s3 15w40 oil looks like 1600 ppm of Zink 1475 of Phosphorus, 14TBN, good to -20 pour point, and ash is 1.5 not sure if it's needed with 15ppm fuel. Cost is about 18.30 a gallon. 

Edited by Dieselfuture

Talked with their rep and got some more info on oil and fuel additive. It makes since to me now that oil is never at 0 TAN when new, so that's why this CAT lab i've been using had TAN levels above 3 most of time, they say most of new oils will have 2.5-3.5 of TAN to begin with and if you sample VOA then you just look at it again after some time and if TAN barely moved then there is nothing to worry about. So if your oil was at 3 TAN new sample (VOA) and 12 TBN and after 1k it shows 3.2 TAN and 11.8 TBN then there is nothing wrong, you only moved .2 and most allow 2 points before you would worry about it.

Now they also sell fuel additive that supposedly (350 HFRR) in a ball park. But the rep did say that 2% BIO was best. 

• Like 2