• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

New CJ-4 oils in older Flat Tappet Engine

• Staff

Marine oil is CI-4 but is only recommend with non biodiesel blends.

James, CI 4 used to be the only recommended oil for my 1st gen when I first bought it almost 20 yrs ago. Now with over 400k it's still running as good as that first day only doing batteries, brakes and one pitman arm.

Mike, I cannot trust my memory except I know you said get the CI-4 at the distributors cause no regular store sells it with the new CJ-4 that had just come out. :punish:

James, CI 4 used to be the only recommended oil for my 1st gen when I first bought it almost 20 yrs ago. Now with over 400k it's still running as good as that first day only doing batteries, brakes and one pitman arm.

Mike, I cannot trust my memory except I know you said get the CI-4 at the distributors cause no regular store sells it with the new CJ-4 that had just come out. :punish:

CJ-4 oils are actually an improvement. They have higher levels of oxidation stability, can't tolerate much higher oil temps, less prone to foaming and is designed to handle biodiesel in our fuels. I am still researching the next generation of oils for Diesel engines and so far even more improvements on the reverse compatible oils.

• Staff

I hope you guys are right. I find going to chevron downtown, a real pain. I thank you guys for the  motivation to do more reading on the subject. Bob's the oil guy had an essay out on how wrong the CJ -4 was when first out.. So hoping.... and thank all for this interesting discussion/ information, esp. the OP.

Way I understand is the CI-4's were discontinued for road use for reasons coming from EPA.

I hope you guys are right. I find going to chevron downtown, a real pain. I thank you guys for the motivation to do more reading on the subject. Bob's the oil guy had an essay out on how wrong the CJ -4 was when first out.. So hoping.... and thank all for this interesting discussion/ information, esp. the OP.

Way I understand is the CI-4's were discontinued for road use for reasons coming from EPA.

CI-4 then shortly after that was CI-4 plus these oils were developed for 500 PPM of sulfur and no biodiesel in the fuels.

CI-4 plus was made for long drain times.

CJ-4 works just as well in the lubricating aspects of oil with added benefits. You won't go wrong by switching oils.

Also Ram trucks currently recommend Rotella oils and several local Ford dealers also recommend Rotella oils(even though Ford has their own brand). I have had great results with CJ-4 Rotella T6 and going 10,000 miles before changing the oil. I may try for 15,000 miles on the next oil change after a 10,000 mile oil sample analysis.

Mike, I remember you suggested I go to a main Chevron oil distributing Co. and by bulk CI-4 OIL. Which the only way to get it.

My 1st gen has had CI-4 almost all it's 400 k miles and when I put in the CJ-4, only 3 times now, I notice differences that make me want to go back to the CI-4. I know it's better oil so I will be ordering a 55 gal. drum from Chevron. They deliver free at least.

What kind of difference are you talking about? Is it sound or wear from sample analyses.

There is a good reason why the oil change intervals are getting long in the 3rd and 4th Gen truck... Compared to 1st and 2nd gen

Coul it be cause they want to sell us more parts? I thought 1st and 2nd gens oil stayed cleaner longer and 3rd and 4th got dirty quick from egr crap, I know it don't mean you need to change it when it gets black but I would think if engine keeps oil clean longer, should last longer.

• Staff

The difference I see when jumping into the CJ-4 oil (used it only three times now) is not as smooth running like it's struggling to get better lubrication on cold starts but, the worse thing was seeing the metal grindings and chips magnetized to the drain plug magnet. It surprised me as I have never seen that before in almost 20 years of using the CI oil. I just don't trust it till I do more reading on the subject.

The difference I see when jumping into the CJ-4 oil (used it only three times now) is not as smooth running like it's struggling to get better lubrication on cold starts but, the worse thing was seeing the metal grindings and chips magnetized to the drain plug magnet. It surprised me as I have never seen that before in almost 20 years of using the CI oil. I just don't trust it till I do more reading on the subject.

I'm with you on that one, have you tryed adding zddp to it and see if it helps. Be interesting to find out.
  • Like 1

Just talked with ams oil and their 15-40 diesel and marine oil (ame) has 1400 ppm of zink, cj-4 rotella has 1200, cj-4 delo 400le has 1300 (some privet study shows 1100), valvoline premium blue has1200. I'm thinking about using premium blue cj-4 with zddp plus.

Edited by Dieselfuture

Coul it be cause they want to sell us more parts? I thought 1st and 2nd gens oil stayed cleaner longer and 3rd and 4th got dirty quick from egr crap, I know it don't mean you need to change it when it gets black but I would think if engine keeps oil clean longer, should last longer.

If it gets black that is a good thing. It means the soot is staying suspended in the oil so when you change the oil it leaves too.

A 12 valve is pretty easy on the oil as is the early 24 valve trucks so your oil should last a good while. Whatever you do run Baldwin, Fleetguard or Donaldson filters and stay away from WIX and Fram.

I say Wix because I have seen good friends loose their new trucks because of Wix filters failing. Wix air filters are good but I would stay away from any other product they produce for a good while.

Just talked with ams oil and their 15-40 diesel and marine oil (ame) has 1400 ppm of zink, cj-4 rotella has 1200, cj-4 delo 400le has 1300 (some privet study shows 1100), valvoline premium blue has1200. I'm thinking about using premium blue cj-4 with zddp plus.

I've got some oil sample data from several oil companies. Let me find the link so all of us can see it.

Also Amsoil is a well known company but from what I see Rotella T6 is substantially better and more commonly available. I say that because I have seen several virgin oil samples of their products and they are not that great.

Edited by Vais01

Here you go gents. Drool away.

Below is a link that shows several virgin oil samples and what in them. Now remember these oils are in batches so they can vary. These oils were pulled off the shelf and analyzed. Rotella is also the factory fill on 6.7 Cummins engines that you buy in Ram trucks and is the oil that is referred by Ram in their 2015 Diesel Truck Supplement.

http://www.pqiamerica.com/June%202014/consolidated%20HDEO%202015.html