• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Winter is coming

Mopar1973Man

Hey, speaking of winter coming...how difficult would access be in the winter west of White bird at 4000'? County gravel road goes from 1,600' up to property and then a 3 mile driveway. County plows their road periodically. Can a quad plow a 3 mile driveway or can my truck do it with a plow attachment? Just not aware of the limitations of either snow plow rig.

• Owner

Depends on the elevation of the property. Like here at 2,800 feet I do all my own plow work with a ATV. I know up at White Water Wilderness Ranch they have to use a heavy machines to plow the roads in the winter. This is because of drifting snow. The only thing I can say is it different snow condition up and down this canyon. The last few years have been so mild that you really didn't need a 4WD nor plow. Hence our fire season this year.

But as my photo shows the road dept. is stocking up with large amounts of salt. New Meadows shed is full of salt. The picture above is Weiser, ID road dept.

Hey, speaking of winter coming...how difficult would access be in the winter west of White bird at 4000'? County gravel road goes from 1,600' up to property and then a 3 mile driveway. County plows their road periodically. Can a quad plow a 3 mile driveway or can my truck do it with a plow attachment? Just not aware of the limitations of either snow plow rig.

I've moved snow with many different pieces of equipment. Snowblower, 4 wheeler, open cab tractor, lawn tractor, plow truck. With a 4 wheeler you have to think ahead early in the season where your putting the snow because they can't stack it very high and you can easily box yourself in. You will also be out there for hours doing a 3 mile driveway on a wheeler. My vote would be plow truck, it's pretty nice being in a heated cab with radio and a cup of coffee. A smaller tractor with a blade/bucket attachment is a good option too because they can be used year round but can be a royal pain when you get stuck. (Notice I said WHEN and not IF you get stuck) I prefer to have a dedicated plow rig I can leave at home so I'm not beating the crap out of my daily driver but that's just me.

• Owner

Have we discussed or have an article on protecting your truck in areas that use salt on roads?

Maybe everyone should pitch in an create an article about how to do this. 

Like my trip today to McCall which is 5,100 feet roughly and there is snow it looks to be around 6,500 feet and snow on the ground. I figure like typical I'll see snow here by November.

• Staff

One guy I read about said to squirt wd 40 or any spray oil in the bottom of the second gen doors. Somehow he got it to puddle inside the door by squirting down inside a bunch. That's cause he said there is no place for all the moisture to drain/escape at the door bottoms. Said he did this every fall.

There are 2 drain holes on each end of my 02's doors. Slots about 1/2" long. i squirt a little motor oil in there every so often and then stick some paper towel in there to soak up any excess. I have a little rust in the door fold over at the bottom on the inside. Thanks Mike. He told me about that one.

Edited by dripley

• Staff

There are 2 drain holes on each end of my 02's doors. Slots about 1/2" long. i squirt a little motor oil in there every so often and then stick some paper towel in there to soak up any excess. I have a little rust in the door fold over at the bottom on the inside. Thanks Mike. He told me about that one.

I forgot all about those drain slots. Funny, I remembered someone telling about this oil trick in the doors but I've forgotten to do it for a few years.

CT, Thanks for the tip.....always looking for something to learn about. Will look it up.

• 4 weeks later...