• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Depends on how you use the rig, if you are not too wild on your mods and power or towed a lot and needed the extra gear to stay in a particular power band I would keep it, if just a daily driver or competition or modded rig with a bit more power I would go with the 4500.

For the swap I think they use a different master slave cylinder setup, can't remember if the tranny length dimension is the same, I think so but not sure, if it is the same there would be nothing else I can think of other than clutch if the shaft diameter is different. If the tranny length is different then you will need front and rear drivelines from a 5 speed rig as well.

Thanks for the info... The truck got a mild mod, edge, cold air and down pipe. I'm not big on getting ton of HP out of the truck nor use it as a dragster. I am going use it for my hobby which is buying and reselling cars. The most I would tow ( total with trailer) maybe 8000 lbs.

The trouble is that I can't find parts for it. It has a 1 1/4 input shaft that has been discontinued, there has been an updated shaft after 2001. So I will spend a lot of money trying to put this thing back together. Unless you know a parts web site I could get parts from.

Haha I know and the parts are very hard to find not to mention the price tag.....I think I will go take mine apart today and see if it's an easy fix if not then it's going to the local dump and I'm getting a nv4500. I just don't understand why having a 6 speed was necessary in a truck like this. When the O.D is .73 and 5 speed is .75

It does not make any sense....

After almost rebuilding the whole truck from engine to transmission I am convinced that there is no such thing as a reliable truck.(at least my dodge isn't ) They all have issues some major some minor but the reputation of cummins is very high. I never thought I would find so many mis-engineered parts and problems with it.

So far a cracked block then the 6th gear.... What's next the rear end and drive line, ECM, Vp44, fuel pump..... I think I pass.... This is by far the worst truck I ever worked on and owned, so many problems can't believe it. When or if I get it running it's going on CL. Done with this pice

Haha I know and the parts are very hard to find not to mention the price tag.....I think I will go take mine apart today and see if it's an easy fix if not then it's going to the local dump and I'm getting a nv4500. I just don't understand why having a 6 speed was necessary in a truck like this. When the O.D is .73 and 5 speed is .75

It does not make any sense....

5th gear is 1:1 on the 5600 just like the  4th in the 4500.

Pardon me I miss read your post on the gears

Edited by dripley

You will be in the same boat if you pick up an NV 4500 if it doesn't have the updated main shaft, they had chronic issues with 5th gear nut coming loose from normal harmonics. If you do look for an NV4500 and you find one that came out of a 6.5l GM diesel you must remove the counterweight on the main shaft. I have seen several guys put them on GM diesels and forget to install the mainshaft counter weight and snap their crank shaft on the old 6.5 diesels.

Well what are my options then? Maybe I should swap an automatic transmission into, it it seams to be holding better... Lol...

Another option would be to take this junk to the dump and get 300 dollars for it then take that 300 dollars and add another 49700 to it and buy a new one....