• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Before I put in the NV4500 I will make sure to weld the nut so it never comes apart....

That is a temporary fix, you will be re welding it time and again if you drive and tow a lot. I have seen guys pull the t-case and re weld and try other things a dozen times before throwing in the towel and updating the shaft. Guys who don't work them hard or just daily drive can get by for a long time welding but the harder they get worked the less effective a weld is. I know there are other fixes available like different nut and retainers but guys I know who work em hard still had the same issues.

I used to work on VW diesels I thought they have chronic problems, now I see that they were actually decent diesel. Minus the fuel injection pump....

My wife just her old 03 ALH TDI VW Jetta 5 speed with 280K and we never once touched any part of the fuel system or the tranny heck it still had the original OEM clutch in it. Was still running awesome when she sold it this spring.

But I feel your pain, I had 3 second gen rams and then I got an 05 3rd gen and now have a 2010 4th gen half ton and will never look at a 2nd gen again, as you pointed out it keeps one busy with the constant work and upkeep, my 05 has been rock solid in comparison.

I would keep it simple and just repair the 6 speed and life will be good again. :thumb1:

Old 1.9 were solid unless you had an auto . They would go out every 160 to 180k. New 2.0 have defective high pressure fuel pumps. I replaced a lot of them. Also you have to replace all lines, injectors and low pressure fuel pump along with ton of other lines.

The DSG was a great pice a ****. My wife went through 2 valve bodies and a transmission. Other then that they are very reliable

Wife has a new 2014 2.0 CR jetta with a 6 spd now, I have done tons of reading on the high pressure fuel pump issue and there were some failures early on,  they are very reliable overall and the failure rate is extremely low versus other vehicle mfg issues and the later ones seem to have almost a zero failure rate from following several VW tdi sites. There are 2 micron add on filter kits and return line filter kits that one can add to prevent total system contamination if one were to fail.

You could read all you want on web sites but the trouble started in late 2000 and to my knowledge it still a problem with the older pre 2014 models and 2013 below v6 Q7.

It's sad to see so many people come in on a tow truck.

I worked for Rusnak in Southern California and to be honest with you there wasn't a day that someone wasn't replacing a high pressure fuel pump. There is a reason that Audi extended warranty to 120k and in most cases I seen they warranty it anyway regardless of miles. I quit in 2014 so I'm not sure if the new ones are any better( it's possible). What I know is they never change the design of the fuel pump and they keep installing defective pumps. So everyone 30to 50k customers would come back for the second round....then again California has stripped all lubricants from the fuel so it's more pronounced in my area then other states.

I worked for VW and Audi for 12 years before I called quits. I wish you could see the things the manufacturers are doing to keep this cars running till they run out of the warranty. It's a shame nothing is a fix anymore, it's a patch so it runs little more till poor customer runs out it of warranty. I was tired of doing this to my customers that's when I decided to quit.

• Like 1

Well what are my options then? Maybe I should swap an automatic transmission into, it it seams to be holding better... Lol...

Another option would be to take this junk to the dump and get 300 dollars for it then take that 300 dollars and add another 49700 to it and buy a new one....

Bring that junk to PA. and I'll give you more than $300 for it.

Well what are my options then? Maybe I should swap an automatic transmission into, it it seams to be holding better... Lol...

Another option would be to take this junk to the dump and get 300 dollars for it then take that 300 dollars and add another 49700 to it and buy a new one....

Bring that junk to PA. and I'll give you more than $300 for it.

Haha I know and the parts are very hard to find not to mention the price tag.....I think I will go take mine apart today and see if it's an easy fix if not then it's going to the local dump and I'm getting a nv4500. I just don't understand why having a 6 speed was necessary in a truck like this. When the O.D is .73 and 5 speed is .75

It does not make any sense....

The difference is not in the top gear but in the space between 3 & 4. If you,ve ever towed with the  two you would know where the 6 speed shines.

Well after few hours of engineering and making special tools to take the old nv56 apart, I found the problem. It's the 6th gear on input shaft. It looks like it came apart from where the synchronizer engages to the gear. Hopefully the parts are available. Other than that all the bearings and bushings look really good.

• Like 1

Ya I would go with a 5 speed if I didn't have a choice. I'm not a big in changing million gears just to get going. Lol

I'm going to call and see if I could get the parts for my 6 speed today. Keep my fingers crossed.

The only thing I need now is a tool to torque the out put shaft nut and another tool that holds the shaft. Hopefully I could make something.