• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

2007 5.9 Using Oil - Valve Seals Bad?

fendercare

Hello Everyone,

What a wonderful forum this is very helpful and informative.  Looking for some input on an oil consumption issue I with a 2007 5.9.  I bought the truck used with 160,000 miles on it.  At first there were no issues at start or running except it used about 1 quart of oil per 500 miles.  Lately though on cold start I noticed a flutter for the first 5 - 10 seconds then it runs fine again.  The exhaust and input side of the turbo are dry with no evidence of an oil leak.  Also, there are no oil leaks from anywhere on the engine so the oil is definitely going out the exhaust either by the rings or from a valve seal leak.  Does anyone have experience with bad valve seals leading to high oil consumption?  I have read this is a possibility but am afraid it is a bigger problem.  I am planning to do an inspection of the valve seals and depending on what I see a compression test to gather further information.

Thanks

Hello there. I think that valve stem seals are definitely a possibility in the situation. When I bought my truck it was going through about the same amount of oil in the same time. Had the seals changed out and the oil consumption went away. Now, mine also smoked white/blue after a cold start up for a few minutes too. Does your truck smoke after a cold start up at all?

That being said, a couple years after getting them seals changed, the oil consumption issue is back. I am not sure what could be eating my valve seals but I will have to find out soon.

Hope this helps.

Many thanks for the reply and I hope my situation is like yours.  Did you have the seals replaced at a shop or do it yourself?  Also, from what I read and gathered in researching this the replacement can be done without removing the head.  Would you agree?

Thank you

Thanks everyone for the input.  A question for Likeoldfords.  Was there a diagnosis that led you to the valve seals or was this a try and see type of exercise?

For AH64ID  - I am afraid of this and will run a compression when I prepare for the valve seal work.  My assumption is this should show if an issue exists in the rings?  If so I hope that the cylinder walls are not damaged if so I am toast and looking at some big money to reair.  From the information I have collected broken rings are not a common failure but certainly can and do happen on occasion.

• Staff

It should show but you may not be loosing too much compression depending on how bad they rings are broken. 

The oil cap test can also show you this. With the engine running remove the oil fill cap. Look for any puffing vapor. Place the cap in the opening and see if pressure is being built. 

My dad's truck ran fine for over 40K miles with the bad rings until one morning the crack in the ring got bigger and he lost a LOT of compression. Funny thing is once it was warm it ran fine all the way to the diesel shop.

I can see where and oil cap test can point toward a ring issue whether it be broken rings or a dusted engine.

The issue of valve seals on a turbo charged engine is confusing. A turbo charged engine has positive pressure in both the intake and exhaust ports. I would think the valve guides would have to be extremely worn to create oil consumption of this level.

The reason I say this is because it is typically always the intake valve seals on a naturally aspirated engine that fail and the natural vacuum on the intake valve leads to increased oil consumption.

I may be way off base here but this sounds like more than valve seals to me.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the replies.  When I get things opened up and make an assessment I will come back with my findings.

I think I would try to determine the condition of your valve guides while your in there..Just look for any excessive slop, or anything unusual. If there is? seals may be just a temporary band aid. If the guildes are good, and the seal replacement doesn`t make a measurable difference? I think you are looking at something more serious.