• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Flex plates

I pulled the transmission out of my truck Friday to get rebuilt and I'm looking at upgrading the flex plate. I've been doing some reading and by the sounds of it some guys replace them and some don't. I don't race nor do I plan on racing so the 29.3SFI approved flex plate would do me no good. I was leaning towards a billet one but 400 bucks is kinda outlandish in my opinion. The factory one is probably fine, but I've read they break or crack under stock power. As long as I have it this far apart I just assume replace it with something I know will be good, rather than have to tear it all apart again later because it broke.   I see BD has a forged flex plate for 350 bucks, and  Goerends has a billet one that's not sfi rated for 325..

Who here has replaced their flex plate and what did you use?

Then yes, you want a heavy duty flexplate. If you keep the stock one, it will be the weak point and shatter before anything else breaks, but that could be a good thing too. Like you said, best to do it in one fell swoop. Some guys run laminated, some say no to billet because it doesn't flex and transfers too much load to the input shaft. But, if you're running a triple and billet input, no reason not to get a beefy flexplate. Don't forget rear main seal while the tranny is out. I got my BD on sale from XDP for under $350, that was my reason for BD, plus I think they have a good track record for breaking. In theory, it shouldn't break for normal driving and towing. I believe boosted launches are the main culprit for breaks and shifting a locked torque converter. 

post-1611-0-95873900-1442838813_thumb.jp

post-1611-0-08458300-1442838855_thumb.jp

post-1611-0-16574000-1442838892_thumb.jp

post-1611-0-39864900-1442838929_thumb.jp

Here is an option for under $200.

http://www.mts-diesel.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=&products_id=302

SFI 29.1 rated.  I know you weren't much interested in an SFI rated unit but this one is one of the least expensive ones I have seen.

I don't have any experience with it but thought I would pass it on as an FYI!

If you haven't bitten the bullet look at Goerend. Dave has SFI and NON SFI flexplates. I have a BD and I will be doing an inspection to see if its failing. I have a minor fuel knock but there is a mechanical knock also possibly flexplate or loose hardware.