• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

EPA orders VW recall on Not So Clean Diesels

flagmanruss

• Staff

While one would think that less fuel used is cleaner it isn't always that way. The things that make an engine efficient are also the things that increase NOx production from combustion. In order to drop NOx you have to drop cylinder pressure and temperature and when you drop those you lose efficiency.

Just like looking at the fire... you have to look at the kind of emissions being made. How much NOx does a forest fire put out?

It is unfortunate that particulate matter and emissions do not include economy as a factor as there as to be a happier medium... i.e. dirtier per gallon but cleaner per mile.

I am NOT an EPA advocate but ranting should be done with correct data.

I think we have gone TOO far with emission requirements and even 2004 specs were a little much but I don't make the rules I just get to follow/break them.

• Like 2

• Owner

The whole thing right now is carbon emissions that everyone is crying about. Rarely have you even heard anyone mention NOx emission which is what creates acid rain. Like Bill's post above its about the CO2 emissions. Now looking from CO2 side then yes that forest fire emit way more. Now the dumb part is all the green plants on the planet absorb CO2 gases and give off O2 as a end result. It's all about creating carbon taxes...

Pope’s Flights to Cuba, U.S. Emit More CO2 Than 557,000 Lbs of Coal

Nothing said about NOx anywhere...

• Staff

Are we talking about Diesel tuning or the news???

You guys are the ones who brought up efficiency of modern engines and emissions. Efficiency has gone away due to the requirement to reduce NOx, not CO2.

From the EPA "These programs will yield enormous long-term benefits for public health and the environment. By 2030, when the engine fleet has been fully turned over, particulate matter (PM) and nitrous oxides (NOx) will be reduced by 380,000 tons/year and 7 million tons/year, respectively."

They don't even mention CO2... so if we are going to talk about diesel vehicle emissions lets talk about diesel vehicle emissions.

CO is mentioned for diesel emissions but I don't see limits on CO2.

• Owner

True. I'll agree that NOis why the efficiency is down. Again there is never anything said about NOx in the media. But the biggest hype on the media is carbon. NOx has been a issue since the early 70's if you want to go back to when EGR system started that I can remember. Yeah I know the EPA has it standards but why is all the hype happening? Media... VW getting their hand slapped. Unknown if its a CO2, NOx or particulate matter when the whole VW thing came to be.

• Staff

Being a modern DPF generation VW thing the issue will be with NOx, NMHC's, and particulate matter. I doubt CO2 is even brought up... as a DPF actually creates CO2 thou the amount is very small; nonetheless, the CO2 will be lower with the emissions equipment utilization reduced.

Media is BS anymore...

• Like 1

All are missing the point of generating tax income and fees on all types of "Natural" fossil carbon based fuels no matter what form the come in. CO2 is not a pollutant Nox and Sox are but they regulated sox out of the equation before the pump with low sulfer fuel so now they need to attack Nox and co2 which is just a money making scheme alone. I deal with this working for a coal mine supplying a coal fired power plant, the EPA tries to cram a one size fits all solution down every ones throat no matter the facts and science, The laws of science don't budge, no matter how much the econuts / liberals try to sway the attitudes of the masses.

• Like 2

personally i think EPA is trying to nail them to help pay for their own screw up in colorado on the animus river.

the fine they are putting against VW. who and were do the "Billions" go? not to me, or you, but their own pocket.

i hate the EPA,  they dropped the ball on the road salts here in AZ that are killing all the trees along the side of the roads were used. another bureaucratic BS CONTROL of the government.

• Like 1

All joking aside with Bill's funny pics above.... We all know VW are not that bad emissions and smoke.

At least not since the late 70's and early 80's Diesel Rabbits anyhow, I have been around many of those over the years and the pics are not far off for those old dogs when they were not timed or tuned correctly.

Might be true but again that's a apple to orange comparing again. The whole thing is about the 2015 vehicle and there heavy emissions. I seriously doubt they are that bad.

Ha Ha that pretty much describes 90% of the conversations on this site which I point out as such and then get the cold shoulder for or key board lashed quite often, so if I can't beat em I just join in. Damned if I do Damned if I don't.

Hope the Full throttle switches work out lol.

• Like 2

Eh.  It is the EPA.  You have to have a sense of humor about it.  

They are a corrupt and horribly managed organization that does far far more harm than good these days.  The EPA is going after the money.  VW is the biggest bank on the block.  Us cummins guys are pretty far down the list.  Mabe if they get bored, or the "environmental movement" starts to wane... then I'd worry.  

• Like 2