• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

EPA orders VW recall on Not So Clean Diesels

flagmanruss

Affected VW products reportedly are programed to respond to emmisions testing with different settings than actual road use which are above the emmisions limits.  Kind of like turning off a chip.  VW has ordered a stop sales order until a fix is found...  units on the road are still legal to drive, for now. 

• Owner

No joke.

I sit here and shake my head at the devices that put on these vehicles. Like my favorite is EGR valve. If you inject CO2 into a fire the fire dies out. So why would you inject it into your engine intake? I know the answer why EPA / CARB add EGR valves but still in all more CO2 added to the air the more fuel is required to make the same power. Being there is less air to burn it make for a inefficient burn in the cylinder no matter how you want to slice it.

Then add a DPF in the exhaust to create back pressure trying to collect carbon dust. Then pump excessive amounts of fuel during the exhaust stroke to burn the filter out. More fuel wasted.

Then AH64ID showing the stock timing table for 3rd Gen's and how nasty its laid out. Most of the table is After Top Dead Center.

There is nothing efficient about the newer designs... :rolleyes:

While the apparent actions by a manufacturer are suprizing, even shocking...  I have long marveled at emmisions requirements.  I'm old enough to remember the first smogged vehicles & that they were required to have less compression & late timing to "decrease emmisions" and that these changes resulted in less power & effiency...  and fewer mpgs.  I've read how non-smog cam grinds can get much better mpgs on our trucks.  And what does a programer or add on chip do, except alter the software or the readings the software uses to make fueling decisions.  

Much more sophisticated than just sensing when there's a connection to the data poort & changing settings.  I gotta wonder how anyone ever caught it?  There must be quite a story there.   

First discovered in Calif.  

"The EPA said the device senses the testing environment by analyzing a variety of data — steering position, speed, duration of engine operation and barometric pressure.

“These inputs precisely track the parameters of the federal test procedure,” the agency wrote in its notice of violation to VW.

"Volkswagen admitted that the cars contained “defeat devices,” after EPA and the state air regulator demanded an explanation for the emission problems.  http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-hy-volkswagen-probe-20150918-story.html 
Edited by flagmanruss

"Ironically, the investigation into VW’s performance began in Europe, after tests showed very different results on the road than the lab had measured. Bloomberg reports that European and American researchers allied together with the intent of actually demonstrating that American vehicles, which were supposedly built to these more stringent standards, could run much cleaner than the European cars were actually achieving. Unfortunately, the results of real-world US driving between San Diego and Seattle pointed firmly in the opposite direction. The Jetta and Passat both blew past the legal US limit by up to 35x and 20x respectively. Minimal emissions on the Jetta were 15x worse than allowed by law, whereas the Passat was 5x worse."

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/214605-vw-caught-cheating-on-diesel-emmissions-standards-ordered-to-recall-500000-cars 

Edited by flagmanruss

I have always found it hard to understand getting fewer MPGs as better for the environment. I think they should have a mileage factor in there, polution per mile of operation which will reward efficiency correctly.

Exactly! Can't tell a lot sitting at idle. But it's in the governments best interest to sell you more fuel. Taxed on the gallon. EPA and CAFE figures are in conflict. Do I sense mental illness?

• Like 1

I know they dont care but i would still like to see a comparison of 2 identical vehicles, one in the EPA's trim and one in a power and mpg mode compared together.

For that matter they would probably like to see all the VP trucks just die.

Edited by dripley

• Owner

California has laws now to force you to trade up to newer trucks. Our fire department is buying these California rejects for super cheap and making fire trucks out of them. I'm glad I live in Idaho away from smog testing "yet".

Just tell me that any vehicle emits this kind of emissions... One forest fire emits more than all the US vehicles on the road...

post-1-0-98713700-1442978291_thumb.jpg

(Picture was shot at 12 noon)

• Like 1