• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

The question needs to be asked!

Wild and Free

What direction are we wanting to head with the theme of this site now since both Toyota and Nissan will have the same 5.0 L V-8 Cummins engine in them when Toyota releases their new 2016 Tundras.? The Toyota boys are taking the engine and increasing the power and fuel mileage over what Nissan has from what I have read.

Are we going to welcome the newest Cummins owners or do we stick with the Dodge Cummins?

I have seen no Dodge or Jeep eco diesel boys here yet either.

To grow I think you have to. Even just getting some more 4 gen owners would help. Me I seem to be stuck in the 2nd gen. It is what i know and am very comfortable with.  I would probably buy one of the Eco diesels after I pay some other debts off and keep the second gen for my tow vehicle. I priced some a few months back and still have some sticker shock in my system. I found a 2500 long bed with the Cummins for less than I could buy the Eco. That is based on sticker price. Of course the Eco was decked out with all the bells and whistles and the 2500 was not, but was similar to my 2nd gen.

For me it is hard to offer advice on something I dont know much about. Very much like when I first came here. I have learned a lot here and have been able to use that knowledge on the vehicle I have. That would mean we would need to attract some owners of said vehicles. I would think that there would be some forums out there for them right now, never looked though.

• Like 1

The place to start, imo, is a database like the old dodgeram dot info site and a few dedicated owners who want to start nerding out.

The new stuff won't get the love the old trucks did due to the lack of easy performance mods.

The quality reference materials is what brought me here. The trouble code writeups, the essential campaign fuel system and later air dog install M73M did for example.

I kinda expect the new tricks to be pretty darn reliable also, being a Toyota product, similar to VW.

Edited by CSM
  • Like 1

I kinda expect the new tricks to be pretty darn reliable also, being a Toyota product, similar to VW.

I think this is a big reason we do not see too many 4th gens and others is the reliability factor is greatly improved over later years and also the lack or ease and cost of being able to mod them has slowed down a lot of forum traffic. That and the fact most are coming with 5 year+100K full bumper to bumper warranties as well so folks do not need to worry about things quite yet.

Plus the fact that the guys with older ones spend hundreds and thousands to make a few extra HP and mileage which the new ones have surpassed by a long shot in stock form now especially in the power aspect. Heck the new gassers have as much if not more HP TQ as the 2nd gen Cummins and get the same mileage towing.

Plus the fact that the guys with older ones spend hundreds and thousands to make a few extra HP and mileage which the new ones have surpassed by a long shot in stock form now especially in the power aspect. Heck the new gassers have as much if not more HP TQ as the 2nd gen Cummins and get the same mileage towing.

This makes me sad.  My 2nd gen would have been pretty snappy even 5 years ago, but now... it is still fast, but not "that" fast. 

It has been fun to mess with though. 

• Like 1

• Owner

No joke after doing the 6.7L delete for the local gent I was shocked at the power difference. Still stock fuelled but man lot more power that stock trim for 2007-2008 truck. Much more power than my 2002 even its current lay out. Owner didn't want to ask but I told him for sure his 6.7L would bet me hands down for power now.

Thing is there is still a market for doing diagnostic and troubleshooting articles for the newer generations. Just need folk to write the articles...

No joke after doing the 6.7L delete for the local gent I was shocked at the power difference. Still stock fuelled but man lot more power that stock trim for 2007-2008 truck. Much more power than my 2002 even its current lay out. Owner didn't want to ask but I told him for sure his 6.7L would bet me hands down for power now.

Thing is there is still a market for doing diagnostic and troubleshooting articles for the newer generations. Just need folk to write the articles...

And to do that you need owners.  They are too busy 1) working to pay it off or 2) having fun not wrenching!  

• Like 1

• Owner

And to do that you need owners.  They are too busy 1) working to pay it off or 2) having fun not wrenching!  

Flip side... There are owners that...

1) Too far from a dealer to get things fixed under warranty or not

2) Just want the truck to run without all the BS alarms scream "Regen"

3) Want to at least know what the Check Engine light is on for.

From my point of view the phone ring here with newer and newer truck having issues. No local diesel shop that want or willing to work on them. So it depends on where you live it a big city where dealers and shop are plentiful sure. Out here where everything is a minimum of 100 miles for services might not be the same.

• Like 1

Flip side... There are owners that...

1) Too far from a dealer to get things fixed under warranty or not  This is a personal problem no matter the vehicle this will be an issue

2) Just want the truck to run without all the BS alarms scream "Regen" Then they had no business buying a new diesel

3) Want to at least know what the Check Engine light is on for. If they can afford a new diesel then a $50 scan tool is well within their budget, not a valid excuse in my book.

From my point of view the phone ring here with newer and newer truck having issues. No local diesel shop that want or willing to work on them. So it depends on where you live it a big city where dealers and shop are plentiful sure. Out here where everything is a minimum of 100 miles for services might not be the same.

Things are becoming so advanced and specialized that there will soon be very few non dealer independent shops that will be able to keep up with the techs training and tooling needs to be able to keep up with technology of the new rigs. Even a lot of smaller dealerships are having a hard time with this and the lack of good qualified techs adds to the issue, most are just parts exchangers and have no troubleshooting or repair abilities anymore, if the computer screen doesn't tell them whats wrong or how to go about fixing it they are totally stumped.

• Owner
This is a personal problem no matter the vehicle this will be an issue

This area isn't like ND where jobs and money are plentiful. Very low budget here. Most people are buying second hand vehicles which may or may not have issues. Very rare does anyone buy a new vehicle here in this valley.

Then they had no business buying a new diesel

Again this is one absolute case I know of but there is several others I've talked to local with other brand like Ford having Regen issues. Or in like the case of the fire dept with Ford blowing a EGR cooler and no one wanting to do the job locally because they don't have the know how.

If they can afford a new diesel then a $50 scan tool is well within their budget, not a valid excuse in my book.

True... But if you only get a generic answer and no diagnostic value with some. Like the local Chevron station has a "$50 scan tool" which spits out a Pxxxx number but no other information. If you look up online you'll find that OBDII codes vary from brand to brand and model to model. So just getting a generic definition isn't much help either unless you have the diagnostic book to go with it and how to test for said error codes. 

Remember for the longest time every one said that P1693 code was the Injection Pump failing... :lmao::lmao2:

Should also look at error codes now... No longer a decimal number now manufacturfes are using Hexidemical numbers for codes because of all the different things they want to test for.

The way it sounds you all need to go this route then. I have 2 brother in laws who do 100-120 mile a day bike rides every week, one in Buffalo NY and one in Iowa city IA.. In fact my bro inlaw from NY has a cancer research charity ride he started last year.

http://terrybourgeois.com/

amandabk.JPG

Living in an area like that and then making excuses for it is still a personal choice not a valid arguement in my book, One needs to look at all variables before making decisions. If there is no place to get something fixed that one can not repair oneself should be among the tops in considering a purchase like a vehicle. I have turned down awesome deals on Range rovers and Volvos in the past due to no or extremely limited parts availability alone and lack of dealerships within a few hundred miles of me even though I could work on them myself.

• Like 1

The way it sounds you all need to go this route then. I have 2 brother in laws who do 100-120 mile a day bike rides every week, one in Buffalo NY and one in Iowa city IA.. In fact my bro inlaw from NY has a cancer research charity ride he started last year.

http://terrybourgeois.com/

amandabk.JPG

Living in an area like that and then making excuses for it is still a personal choice not a valid agreement in my book, One needs to look at all variables before making decisions. If there is no place to get something fixed that one can not repair oneself should be among the tops in considering a purchase like a vehicle.

I would think that 50 % to 75% of people that are buying new cars or truck have not a clue as to what makes them run. By that I mean they are buying style, options, fuel mileage, brand and many other things. They do not have a clue as to what actually makes it run. They might no something about the mechanics but I would bet they know zilch about the  electronics that make it all happen. I fit somewhat into this category when purchasing my 02. I knew I wanted the Cummins. It was a diesel and that would be different for me but never gave elecronis a thought.. When talking to the salesman he mentioned HO, 6 speed tranny, and my testosterone started pumping  and thats how I ended up with my truck. of course my 96 was sitting in there lot with a blown V10 and I did not have alot of choice but to buy, and the HO 6 speed stuff just pumped me up that much more. That has happening on car lots everyday. VW comes to mind rather quickly at this moment. CLEAN diesel, great mileage, great looks, and all the extras. That is what is selling them. Not trying to knock VW's at all, I looked at them a little while but even the 10+ year old one were quite pricey for me at the time. Did not mean to ramble on there, but the majority of people dont have a clue as to what make a car go. I know the mechanics well enough, but when comes to the electronics, I am a mental midget. Thanks to all here, I am a little taller than when I started.

That brings me to the question of opening up to the newer vehicles. I sought out m73m while my truck was sitting in a garage, undriveable. I had never even looked at a forum before for anything. So I started looking and ended up on CF and a couple others and was not getting any help. I kept seeing mentions of M1973M and came over after being told to check my grounds or use the search button one to may times. So I came over and was welcomed and made to feel like one of the family. A little to late to stop me from buying a internet reman ECM but that s another story. I would have to defer to you that are more knowledgeable as to whether we can accommodate questions asked about the newer vehicles. I would hope that we could and would want to be a part of that but not sure what I could offer.

And for you Bill, I aint riding no bicycle!!! To hilly around here. :tease:

• Like 2

This is outside my backyard to give you an idea of my bike riding. This is me on my bike this spring, It's was what I could afford and I can fix it and gets me from point A to point B and has no electronics. :tongue:  so many folks think it is pancake flat in ND well here it is folks.

10483808_1563631243898744_11525581332051

About 80lbs less than when I met with you. :wow: You are the only one on this board who has seen me before my lifestyle change in person and the results a year after I started now in the pics. I met with the Florida gang at Johnfaks house last winter and they only know the mini me version of ol W&F lol.

• Like 1

I have never commented on your lifestyle change thread probably because I should do something similar, I am however happy that it has worked out for you and wish you the best. You are sure there is no ECM hiding in that water bottle? looks suspicious to me. 

• Like 1