• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

So I have had a 99 Cummins for some time now and it came with a raptor fuel pump and edge programmer. It also had a switch in the cab to turn the fuel pump on. When I first got the truck the WTS light was delayed but turned on and after a few starts it started coming on like normal and I had the fuel switched from the switch to my ignition so it came on without having to flip a switch but after I went a vacation and accidentally left the key in the auxiliary position and ran the batteries dead there has been no WTS light. When we would try to jump it the light came on but after the last one it won't. Tried unplugging batteries and letting it sit then putting the cables back on and the light would work for a min but would quit again. The edge would read about codes for the companion moduel and the fuel pump relay and for voltage high on TPS and it had a code for glow plug circuit but Cummins have grid heaters. The truck would still start but it would most of the time would either need a few more cranks or would fire right up. I took it to a shop and they said it was the computer on my firewall so I sent it off to get it reprogrammed and they called saying it was fine and now I have no idea and need help ASAP please help!

Well there are many internet companies that profess that they can rebuild them for in the neighborhood of 5 to 700 dollars. I tried that route and it probably cost me near 4 times that. before I just bit the bullet and got one from a local mechanic thru Cummins. That cost $1400. I know of no one who can reliably rebuild the ECM. Even the ones thru the dealer or Cummins are remans, As this is a pricey part to replace, at least get your PCM back, hook it up and check you codes again and see what shows up. It would be better if you could clear your codes and then drive the truck some and see what codes come back. Might give us a better idea of what is going on. As pricey a part as the ECM is, you just dont want to buy one and hope that was the problem.

Edited by dripley

Personally I would change that back to where the ECM triggers it thru a relay. If you where ever in an wreck with fire that pump would keep pumping fuel on the fire until you turn the key off. Not a problem as long as you're conscious and remember to do it.

• Like 1

• Owner

Send the ECM (one on the driver side of the block) to be repaired.

Then take the alternator have it bench tested for diode ripple. It should be below 0.05 (50mV AC) anything above .1 is a fail.

There is a thread here where the alternator just wiped out the VP44...

http://forum.mopar1973man.com/index.php?/topic/10463-vp-died-last-night/

Ok, just got back from Autozone.
It output 14.71 with 2.53v ripple. The machine threw up a big red FAILED...

• Like 1