• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

47RE Valve Body removal

Hi all,

Doing a service on my 47RE Fluid, Filter, band adjustment. Since I have the pan down, would like to put in my TransGo shift kit. Any how to's on how to remove the 47RE? I found them for the 48 & 46 but would like a 47 specific so I don't mess it up.

Once I have it down, TransGo did send a detailed instruction. But since I'm an Auto newb, you guys are my backup!

Thanks,

Dave

It is Beyond easy to do.

-Drop the pan / drain fluid ( put a trans pan plug while you have it off)

-Remove the "e" clip holding the park rod in place

- undo the TV lever from the top of the rooster comb

- Undo the Bolts holding hte VB in.  ( keep in mind you will drain another 3-4 quarts of fluid)

- drop the vb.

Take your time.  The hardest part is that stupid E clip.   make sure you have a backup clip haha.  I have lost more of those stupid little things than anything else.

While Auto Trannies as a hole can be "scary" remember, its only one bolt at a time.  Each part of the tranny really isn't that complex.

Good Luck and remember take your time.

Don't think I'm going to tackle the VB this time. I don't have unlimited time. I really would be more comfortable w a 47RE specific vid or pix so I know where & what everything is. Just adjust bands, fluid & filter. With 208K & for what I know about the truck it could be due for a rebuild.

Thanks,

Dave!

Agreed CT & me! I put a bottle of Lucas Stop Slip in w the refill, hoping for the best. My wife is pulling a small camper down to a Vintage Camper rally around the 17th so I wanted to get it right for her. Also thinking of replacing the original steering gear. Been going thru the truck since I got her in the Spring.

Thanks,

Dave

I hope the best for you....and hopefully you survive your wife  :lol:

I dunno which would be worse, paying for a tranny R&R and explain it to your wife, OR having to tow your wife back and telling her you knew the tranny was on the outs and didn't do the R&R.

Lololol.....only joshing.

You don't have to pull the park rod off of the rooster comb (the dreaded E-clip) to get the VB out. I never do, and I pull at least 3 or 4 VB's every week. The park rod will pull out with the VB. If it won't come right out, rotate the rear driveshaft slowly until the park pawl lines up, the park rod comes free and the whole VB comes forward and out of the transmission. Reverse the procedure to reinstall...

Just FWIW, I wouldn't put Lucas additive in the transmission. That stuff has ruined more transmissions than I can count...!

My opinion on Transgo products is well documented. I won't bore you with it again...

• 3 weeks later...

So this ended up working out fine, wife pulled a small camper down to the mts of NC & back w no issues. Campground was at the top of a crest, no issues at all.

Also replaced a steering box, she's so happy I did that because on RT 91 there was no room for error!

My Wife loves the new truck,Dave!