• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

New Edge Comp

I will be installing my edge comp tonight and then next week it is time to go Elk Hunting.  I've pulled my trailer plenty of times with my truck but this will be the first time with the comp installed.  Is there any wisdom that you all have learned that you would like to pass along.  I have read through the literature that came with the comp, but what setting do you prefer?  I am not looking for smoke and squealing tires, but I would like the power when towing an mileage when not towing.  any advice would be great.

Thanks,

It's all up to you. If you have a hard time with self control drop the level so the egts don't go crazy high. If you're good at monitoring the gauges you can crank it up and be just fine. I personally just run my smarty when towing, which would be level three for your edge.

• Owner

I run nearly wide open (5x3). I control the fuel with my foot.

As for towing you can try if you want... But if if you set your cruise on a grade towing and then just turn off the Edge Comp you'll find a drop in power but the ECM will throttle back up on cruise and you'll find the EGT's are just the same.

• Owner

Judging by what is in your signature you should use the edge for play. If you advance timing too much there is a chance you can damage the piston crown.

Might be true of your running a Hot Rod VP44 or stacking a Smarty (timing) and Edge Comp...

Stock VP44 there is no harm in running high levels.

http://articles.mopar1973man.com/members-rides/17-mopar1973man/25-2002-dodge-ram-2500

post-1-0-16590200-1443713781_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-76370200-1443713821_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-10315800-1443713858_thumb.jpg

Might be true of your running a Hot Rod VP44 or stacking a Smarty (timing) and Edge Comp...

http://articles.mopar1973man.com/members-rides/17-mopar1973man/25-2002-dodge-ram-2500

My Quadzilla allows up to 8 degrees of timing advance but pushing that much timing with enough fuel could cause the piston crown to overheat. I would keep the timing down to tow anything.

I guess I'll just play around with it.  I was wondering if you would all offer some "DON'Ts" to prevent me from breaking something.  When I am pulling and usually have a keen eye on my EGTs so I'll experiment with it and go from there.  Of course, all this depends on if I can get installed....

Thanks for the help

• Owner

You're not going to hurt it running high levels of timing. It actually drops EGTs.

As long as your twisting high RPM's at highway speed. If low RPM's like myself wondering through the steep mountain roads lower timing is more optimal. There is several sub-divisions with residential speeds of 15 MPH and grades as steep as 16-18%. High timing is not desired.

As long as your twisting high RPM's at highway speed. If low RPM's like myself wondering through the steep mountain roads lower timing is more optimal. There is several sub-divisions with residential speeds of 15 MPH and grades as steep as 16-18%. High timing is not desired.

High load works the same way. I have seen a few cracked and melted pistons from hauling a load and using the MPG tunes (high timing tune). EGT may show lower but piston crown temps become elevated because your spraying fuel more on the crown and less in the bowl.

I installed the comp last night and then the wife and I took it for a ride down the road :thumbup2:.  I was impressed.  I was surprised at how simple the install went.  I printed off the article from this site and used that to install the comp and the stealth plate.  Very happy so far, now to get used to it.  Thanks for all the help!!

• Like 3

That is one nice place you got up there Mike. Some day I'm hoping to get out of town and enjoy nature on daily bases.

High load works the same way. I have seen a few cracked and melted pistons from hauling a load and using the MPG tunes (high timing tune). EGT may show lower but piston crown temps become elevated because your spraying fuel more on the crown and less in the bowl.

Held mine at 1700+ deg at over 100mph for much longer than I should have. Smarty was on #1 (Highest timing) and TST on 9. Pistons looked fine when I took them out. Edge has less timing than the smarty. I wouldn't be worried about the timing.

Might not hurt anything but from a efficiency perspective excessive anything (fuel, timing, etc.) can push your efficiency out the window too. There is a balance to everything.

Spot on. With more durating you want more timing. Give the fuel time to atomize and combust before the cylinder heads back down