• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

New Edge Comp

Might not hurt anything but from a efficiency perspective excessive anything (fuel, timing, etc.) can push your efficiency out the window too. There is a balance to everything.

I agree with this. I can't place my Quadzilla on the fuel economy tune at anything lower than 65 or I will get a rumble strip sensation in the truck. Spoke with others and they tell me it is torque converter chatter go figure.

Definitely a balancing act.

• Owner

Mine is much lower in the RPM spectrum. This is based from the amount of timing again. So like from what I've learned from all my conversations on the phone. Like Smarty economy mode with heavy timing actually doesn't work good at all and reduces timing. From another member he informed me that level 7 is the best. So this tells me that aggressive timing does have it place but most likely at highway speeds where crank speed (RPM's) are high enough to warrant more advancement to keep fuel burn timing in the power band. Now it respect to that like city stop go traffic where RPM rarely get high it would not be optimal because the timing is already outside the power band at lower RPM's.

This is where my MPG fooler came to existence. Being most all programmers add timing to counteract the emission stock tune of the ECM. Like myself I live hours away from any interstate or speeds above 65 MPH. Local speed limits are 45-65 MPH city speed limits are 25 MPH and residential are mere 15 MPH. Idaho is much slower life style up here. So designing around that I used a potentiometer or rheostat to very the IAT temps up and down to see where I wanted the timing to be. the colder the IAT became the more timing was added. The more warmer the less timing was added. I basically ran at different IAT temps for months at a time looking at what gave the bast gain.

http://articles.mopar1973man.com/general-cummins/34-engine-system/459-speed-mpg

Mine is much lower in the RPM spectrum. This is based from the amount of timing again. So like from what I've learned from all my conversations on the phone. Like Smarty economy mode with heavy timing actually doesn't work good at all and reduces timing. From another member he informed me that level 7 is the best. So this tells me that aggressive timing does have it place but most likely at highway speeds where crank speed (RPM's) are high enough to warrant more advancement to keep fuel burn timing in the power band. Now it respect to that like city stop go traffic where RPM rarely get high it would not be optimal because the timing is already outside the power band at lower RPM's.

This is where my MPG fooler came to existence. Being most all programmers add timing to counteract the emission stock tune of the ECM. Like myself I live hours away from any interstate or speeds above 65 MPH. Local speed limits are 45-65 MPH city speed limits are 25 MPH and residential are mere 15 MPH. Idaho is much slower life style up here. So designing around that I used a potentiometer or rheostat to very the IAT temps up and down to see where I wanted the timing to be. the colder the IAT became the more timing was added. The more warmer the less timing was added. I basically ran at different IAT temps for months at a time looking at what gave the bast gain.

http://articles.mopar1973man.com/general-cummins/34-engine-system/459-speed-mpg

Agreed. High timing is for RPM at highway speed. In my case over 65 and typically 70 MPG otherwise I get the rumble strip effect going down a smooth highway.