• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Valve Seals? occasional oil smoke.

On some start ups it will blow some white/blue haze (smells like oil) smoke for a few seconds as the EGT rises.  Also, if I sit and idle for extended periods, like 5min, when i continue driving it will blow the same color smoke as soon as my egt rises above 500-600.  Once it burns the oil out, it doesn't come back, and the truck runs the same smoking or not.  

The truck runs fine, and uses some oil, but not much... Mabe a quart every 2500 miles at the most.  i haven't actually measured it.

I am wondering if I am getting excessive oil going down my exhaust valves, and coating the exhaust... either from worn guides or worn seals.  

I am going to have the rockers off soon for a head stud install, does it make sense to you guys to change the seals as well?  

And anybody have a good source for a complete Injector & Crossover O ring and valve seal kit? I want to change the O rings as they should be set and are more likely to leak if reused. 

I've got the same issue small cloud of bluish white smoke on start up. My oil consumption is much much less. So minimal that I don't add any oil between oil changes at all. Might use a half quart total in 7k miles. I've also got a few other oil leaks to content with as well.

For some reason, I don't have any oil leaks yet. 

I am trying to decide if it is worth it to fix or just leave it. 

It only burns measurable oil if I do a lot of slow driving around town for months on end...  If I am on the highway or towing, it doesn't burn any oil.

• Owner

Seal kits are cheap. I've already look them up.

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx/Valve-Stem-Oil-Seal-Set/_/R-FPBSS70937_0147481126

Now all you need is the valve tool.

http://www.torkteknology.com/products/Cummins%C2%AE-24V-5.9-%26-6.7-Valve-Spring-Compressor--CVSC010.html

Just remove all the rockers and injectors. Using a piece of tie wire as a measure of TDC run each cylinder up to TDC. Release your valve retainers and lift the springs off. Now you can change you valve seals. Valves will sit on top of the pistons. Make sure to lube the seals up before installing and also look for sharp spots on the valves stem that might slice the seal. I've done a set on a Datsun head and the very last seal got nicked by a sharp spot. Crap had to buy another seal kit for one stinken seal. :mad:

Seal kits are cheap. I've already look them up.

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx/Valve-Stem-Oil-Seal-Set/_/R-FPBSS70937_0147481126

Now all you need is the valve tool.

http://www.torkteknology.com/products/Cummins%C2%AE-24V-5.9-%26-6.7-Valve-Spring-Compressor--CVSC010.html

Just remove all the rockers and injectors. Using a piece of tie wire as a measure of TDC run each cylinder up to TDC. Release your valve retainers and lift the springs off. Now you can change you valve seals. Valves will sit on top of the pistons. Make sure to lube the seals up before installing and also look for sharp spots on the valves stem that might slice the seal. I've done a set on a Datsun head and the very last seal got nicked by a sharp spot. Crap had to buy another seal kit for one stinken seal. :mad:

I bought a spring compressor from XDP.  $71 shipped.  

To top hat or not to top hat... I need to pull my valve cover and check if the bosses are machined for the top hat type.

140k.  However, I've learned since buying it that the previous owner ran it pretty hard and hot at times. 

Well, if you find play you will need to compare that to the other valves to determine if your valve guides are any good. The engine is pretty young to need valve seals.

Well, if you find play you will need to compare that to the other valves to determine if your valve guides are any good. The engine is pretty young to need valve seals.

When do you expect to need seals?

I bought a spring compressor from XDP.  $71 shipped.  

To top hat or not to top hat... I need to pull my valve cover and check if the bosses are machined for the top hat type.

I've got one I could have given you!!

On a side note my trucks exhaust were fine.... but the intake were pretty nasty.

• Like 1

When do you expect to need seals?

140K is early even for gasoline engines which do not last nearly as long as a Cummins.

Now what color did you say the puff of smoke was again? Are you certain it is not just white? 

I'm going on a limb here and saying you may want to look at your turbo seals first. 

140K is early even for gasoline engines which do not last nearly as long as a Cummins.

Now what color did you say the puff of smoke was again? Are you certain it is not just white? 

I'm going on a limb here and saying you may want to look at your turbo seals first. 

I thought so too, but I just replaced the turbo with the II 62, and the hybrid on there wasn't leaking anyway.  It did the same thing before.  It is either rings or guides, but if it was rings I would think it would be a bit more consistently smoky.  

It is kind of white/blue.  Definitely oil smoke from smell.  I've been around white diesel smoke and it definitely isn't that, or coolant.