• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Valve Seals? occasional oil smoke.

I thought so too, but I just replaced the turbo with the II 62.  I did the same thing before.  It is either rings or guides, but if it was rings I would think it would be a bit more consistently smoky.  

It is kind of white/blue.  Definitely oil smoke from smell.  I've been around white diesel smoke and it definitely isn't that, or coolant. 

Open your oil cap and leave it on the opening if it bounces up and down by the gasses you need to rebuild. If not your rings may be okay.

You could have valve seals go out but if the head had gotten that hot in that little mileage I would be concerned other things may need to be looked at. Pull the turbo at the exhaust flange if you have oily residue on the exhaust manifold side I would be say your valve seal theory is correct.

Open your oil cap and leave it on the opening if it bounces up and down by the gasses you need to rebuild. If not your rings may be okay.

You could have valve seals go out but if the head had gotten that hot in that little mileage I would be concerned other things may need to be looked at. Pull the turbo at the exhaust flange if you have oily residue on the exhaust manifold side I would be say your valve seal theory is correct.

We will see what it looks like, I don't have hardly any blow by.  I recall some oily residue in the manifold when I changed my turbo.  

• Owner

Like in my case I don't have any kind of serious blow by. Just the light vapor that drifts from under the truck from the vent pipe.. Like a lot of trucks are starting to lose tappet cover gaskets and other rubber seals.  It's possible the seals had enough heating and cooling cycles to make them brittle and start to leak? :shrug:  I'll have to admit I've done a few startup and run to the fire house without much warm up periods. Some times blow past the fire house and go directly to the scene. So in my case I know the engine has some abuse.

As for CSM he'll have to speak for himself...

Like in my case I don't have any kind of serious blow by. Just the light vapor that drifts from under the truck from the vent pipe.. Like a lot of trucks are starting to lose tappet cover gaskets and other rubber seals.  It's possible the seals had enough heating and cooling cycles to make them brittle and start to leak? :shrug:  I'll have to admit I've done a few startup and run to the fire house without much warm up periods. Some times blow past the fire house and go directly to the scene. So in my case I know the engine has some abuse.

As for CSM he'll have to speak for himself...

It turns out the truck was owned by a Cyclone rig hand and ran hard enough to shell 3 transmissons in 40k.  I didn't learn that until I called up the guy who "built" the trans.  Stories didn't match up.  

It turns out the truck was owned by a Cyclone rig hand and ran hard enough to shell 3 transmissons in 40k.  I didn't learn that until I called up the guy who "built" the trans.  Stories didn't match up.  

How much blowby?

Also i would check the engine out starting with oil analysis prior to opening it up. Just to see what could be there.

How much blowby?

Also i would check the engine out starting with oil analysis prior to opening it up. Just to see what could be there.

There is no blowby at idle.  It may have some under load, but I can't really measure that.  

I pulled the valve cover and some of the valve seals are split. I couldn't see any on the intake side that were bad, but I found at least one that was broken on the exhaust side.  

They are easy and cheap to replace.... I'd just replace them but I also have a money pit for a truck

Yeah, I am there too. Trans, turbo, huge number of programmers, etc.  I've got the truck almost where I want it mechanically and interior setup.  The only other mechanical mods I want is cam, replace the u joints, drive shaft to one piece, and I have a borgeson box on backorder. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Did your replace the seals ?Supposedly you cant do tophat without machining.

Still curious on 2 things

1) Did you hear any ticking from the air intake ? Would think with bad seal would tick heaviliy

2) How did you determine bad seal to begin with with all the oil in the head galleys around springs etc

Did your replace the seals ?Supposedly you cant do tophat without machining.

Still curious on 2 things

1) Did you hear any ticking from the air intake ? Would think with bad seal would tick heaviliy

2) How did you determine bad seal to begin with with all the oil in the head galleys around springs etc

no tick... I don't know why a seal would tick though. I haven't changed them yet. 

As for the bad seals I could see some tears in the seals on a couple cylinders.   I expect that I have some worn guides.

Valve seals and a cam are two completely different ball games.... popping the valve cover, rockers, and springs off are cake. Ripping the whole front end off isn't quite as quick / fun

Edited by TFaoro

• 2 weeks later...

My valve spring compressor is FINALLY here.  It was backordered.  I have been holding off due to a lack of time.  If I ever get the borgeson steering box I ordered two months ago arrives I will get to it.  The box is backordered indefinitely.