• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Valve Seals? occasional oil smoke.

I've had a Borgeson steering box and shaft for a few years now. For how much I paid for them I'm really not impressed. Having a little quicker turning ratio is nice but other than that it really made no difference how the truck drove. I would cancel your order and give Ryan at blue top steering gears a call. 

Talk with Ryan => http://www.bluetopsteeringgears.com/

This was from Bill (W&F) - he used to work or his dad did for redhead.

2/3rds the price ...... Im going to order today.

--- Really starting to wonder if the smoke from my truck is valve leak also ......... not sure as its more grey white ........ than dark/blue....... will get a compression and leak down going (thanks TFAORO) .... next couple weeks ...... and go from there.

Edited by JOHNFAK

If the valve guides are worn out, what does one do from there? Full head job? I have went through 2 sets of valve seals in about 100k miles and this set is starting to leak some oil too. The guy I bought the truck from had said the head was just gone through before I bought it. Apparently whoever did the work didnt know what they were doing...

56 minutes ago, Ilikeoldfords said:

If the valve guides are worn out, what does one do from there? Full head job? I have went through 2 sets of valve seals in about 100k miles and this set is starting to leak some oil too. The guy I bought the truck from had said the head was just gone through before I bought it. Apparently whoever did the work didnt know what they were doing...

Yep.  At that point, it will likely be some new guides and probably some new valves.  I would like to have the head off to do a gasket match port cleanup and do a valve job.... but it runs fine now and the start up smoke doesn't bother me. 

At the moment my oil consumption is about a quart every 1000 miles. It doesnt leak on the ground anywhere. It was going through about this much oil before i had the last set of valve seals in. After the new seals i was only going through about a quart every 8000 miles. Guess its time for a head job. Any idea how much a thorough job costs?