• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

what are my options

I just bought a 2001 2500 4x4 6 speed 100k miles first thing I did was put on a

Raptor drfp 19 idle 16 wot I was driving down the highway at 70 and it started to surged and had really bad dead pedal so I got home and ran the codes and got po216 not sure where to go with that

Typically, they want a core of the same one you buy.   However, a SO pump is better than a HO pump if you are going to do any hot rodding or tunes for increased mileage/performance.  

The SO has bigger plungers than the HO.  

You should not have to, but as mentioned above you will not be able to use your old pump as a core. I have not seen anyone accept a core that is not like the one you purchased. Core charges are around $500. I have a 6 speed also with an HO and it performed very well with the Banks chip I had on it. It has since died and I replaced it with an Edge comp only to find my clutch will not hold it. That is another $1000 I get to spend. Unless you are trying to go crazy on the power or just have an extra $1500 to drop on a new VP, the HO will serve you well. It is all a matter of how much money you want to spend. 

Edited by dripley

If you want do help yourself out, and mabe be involved a bit more here to learn more about your truck and how to run it, you can fill out your signature with the truck, year, mods, etc.  It would help with the troubleshooting etc.  

Also, if you like what you see here, the site isn't free and any donations are welcome.   :)  Not to say you aren't welcome as a free member, but it it just a thought.

Up at the upper right hand corner of the screen there is your username... catnhat.  Click on that.  Go to My Settings.  

On that screen, click on Signature.  Fill out the signature and hit save.  

3?  nice!  mabe you can teach us some stuff!  There aren't a ton of "experts" here, just a lot of regular guys who have spent years fiddling. 

Don't plan on anything crazy just a truck that I trust to drive out of town

You dont need a SO pump to do that. I have driven mine for 14 years from NJ to Fl and NC to OK and every where in between on a HO pump. Been stranded 3 times in that time, once with a failed OE lift pump and twice with a failed ECM. i have always been able to get it home other wise. Was the raptor on it when you bought it? How long have you owned it?

Don't plan on anything crazy just a truck that I trust to drive out of town

Lol you made my day, when I bought my truck I also wanted something dependable to drive out of town but quickly found out that it wasn't the case. The more I got used to it the more problems I discovered and ultimately that's how I ended up on this site. Lots of knowledge here and wisdom. I don't think I'm the only one here fills that my truck hates me at times for being nice to it. I had surging problem since day one I got it and was only noticeable under load towing at 65mph. After 3 years of trying to figure it out, I believe it ended up being my alternator having access AC voltage higher than desired. After rebuild it problem seemed to disappeared for almost a year, but last time towing I felt slight surge again. But I'm not as lucky as you are to have a code, and it's been a pain in butt trying to figure it out. Wish you all the luck. You came to the right place. Edited by Dieselfuture

Lol you made my day, when I bought my truck I also wanted something dependable to drive out of town but quickly found out that it wasn't the case. The more I got used to it the more problems I discovered and ultimately that's how I ended up on this site. Lots of knowledge here and wisdom. I don't think I'm the only one here fills that my truck hates me at times for being nice to it. I had surging problem since day one I got it and was only noticeable under load towing at 65mph. After 3 years of trying to figure it out, I believe it ended up being my alternator having access AC voltage higher than desired. After rebuild it problem seemed to disappeared for almost a year, but last time towing I felt slight surge again. But I'm not as lucky as you are to have a code, and it's been a pain in butt trying to figure it out. Wish you all the luck. You came to the right place.

Honestly, the trucks are good.  They are old trucks and need the maintenance any old truck needs.  Lately it seems like alternators are killing more trucks than anything else.  Other than that there really is one BIG glaring mistake Cummins made, the lift pump.  Once that is remedied, they are pretty solid.