• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

what are my options

The worst part is that I sold my 98.5 that I had 6 years and never put a dollar into for this 01

You are fortunate to have a manual, if you are looking for reliability.  As long as the trans is maintained and not abused the only real parts that need replaced is the clutch.

I'm still regrating selling my 97, (women)

That is sad.  The 12V was a classic.  I often wish I had bought a used 12V instead of my first 2000 24V.  A 12V manual and a 05-7 auto would be a perfect stable.
  • Like 1

Honestly, the trucks are good. They are old trucks and need the maintenance any old truck needs. Lately it seems like alternators are killing more trucks than anything else. Other than that there really is one BIG glaring mistake Cummins made, the lift pump. Once that is remedied, they are pretty solid.

Yeah I agree, that's why I'm still determined to keep fixing it, I'm in love with the dam thing.

Seeing that you have am HO VP44 (high output) I would recommend going to another HO VP if you plan on staying below 450 horsepower. If you plan in the future to go above 450 then jump into an SO VP44 (standard output). The difference between the two VP44 pumps is the size of the internal plungers, which is smaller on the HO VP44 and the programed pump timing is a bit different. While you are there go ahead and check your APPS sensor and maybe even replace it for good measure along with the nearly hidden cam sensor behind your VP44. If you get another APPS sensor I would give TIMBO a ring his APPS sensor is a better version and still costs less than running to the dealership for an APPS sensor. Cheap insurance in my book.

Also just an FYI on your fuel filter I do believe the 5 micron filter from the common rail trucks (03-up) fit in the cartridge canister it's a great upgrade to the factory 10 micron filters.

• Like 1

The worst part is that I sold my 98.5 that I had 6 years and never put a dollar into for this 01

Crappy way to get into a new truck, but that's what the oe lift will do for you. Keep An eye on the fuel pressure and keep it above 14 psi and put some 2 stroke in it you might get a little more life out of it. As far as a new VP goes, there are only  a handful of rebuilders and alot of folks that sell them. Be sure that whoever it is used new electronics in the build. Pretty sure they all use new ones now but last I looked you could still get them with old electronics that past testing for a little less $. Just not worth the risk in my opinion. 

Before putting money into a new IP make sure that your fuel system in good to go.  Do you have a fuel pressure gauge in the cab?  How is your fuel filter?  I would suggest adding the 2 cycle oil, it is pretty cheap and worth it in my opinion.  Also, as it has been pointed out, check your alternator.  I would hate to see someone install a new IP just to have their alternator  burn up another pump.

I am going to change the fuel filter since I have to idea when that was done as for Guage I don't have it mounted yet I just had it temporary in to set the pressure on the Raptor when I bought the truck I did make sure the the stock lift pump was at least running

• Owner

Would the apps have anything to do with my problem

Most likely not. If there is no P0121, P0122 or P0123 codes then the APPS sensor isn't really a cause. You can test to see if there is smooth voltage from idle ot WOT but I doubt you'll find anything. I would be looking at AC noise issues from the alternator which can be a cause of VP44 damage. The p0216 code is because of either low fuel pressure which you show 16-19 PSI so it's not a fuel pressure. It is possible that its a fuel lubricity issues the galled the timing piston and seized it. So more than likely the VP44 will be replaced in the future.

Kinda what I figured. is there anything else if could be,where would a good place be to get a new pump

Clean grounds. Check connector to VP, mine was loose and acted up.  Also I see you have a Super chip, try disconnecting it. See if any difference. One more thing go to Bluechip site and read the articles, lots of good info.

Edited by klcammie

You should not have to, but as mentioned above you will not be able to use your old pump as a core. I have not seen anyone accept a core that is not like the one you purchased. Core charges are around $500. I have a 6 speed also with an HO and it performed very well with the Banks chip I had on it. It has since died and I replaced it with an Edge comp only to find my clutch will not hold it. That is another $1000 I get to spend. Unless you are trying to go crazy on the power or just have an extra $1500 to drop on a new VP, the HO will serve you well. It is all a matter of how much money you want to spend. 

I have seen I think on DAP's website where they will accept a HO in place of a SO. But not the other way around.

I have seen I think on DAP's website where they will accept a HO in place of a SO. But not the other way around.

They will take a different core but you only get 1/2 core credit, best I can tell. A quick phone call to them would clear that up. 

Well I cleared the codes and when I was looking this over I found a battery cable wasn't tight. After I tighten it up,the Truck seems to be running great and the code hasn't come back. I just hope that was it thanks for all the help

Honestly, the trucks are good.  They are old trucks and need the maintenance any old truck needs.  Lately it seems like alternators are killing more trucks than anything else.  Other than that there really is one BIG glaring mistake Cummins made, the lift pump.  Once that is remedied, they are pretty solid.  

The other day I was complaining about all the money I've spent on my truck and told my wife I should of just bought a new one.  Then I had a job come into the shop the next day. It was a 09 International Maxxforce 10 with 25,000 miles and I can't remember the hours but they were low.  The turbo was shot, but after getting into it I ended up replacing both egr coolers, charge air cooler,& egr valve. Had to remove intake manifold and bead blast the soot off of it and then clean the intake and exhaust ports on the head, which really needed to come off and be properly cleaned but I lost that battle. I go through this all the time and every time I do, I pat my old 24v on the hood because I don't want anything to do with an emissions engine.  Cummins is way better than International but they still have their issues.