• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

1996 5.9 Magnum into 2000 5.9 Dakota

My nephew threw a rod in his Dakota and we've only been able to find one motor locally to replace it. It's out of a 96 Ram 1500. Obviously I'll be swapping exhaust manifolds and all the the electronics... Is there anything else I need to be aware of?

I can't think of anything.  I wouldn't throw anything out until you get it all swapped.  

I would also definitely change the intake gasket while you're in there if you have the barrel type intake.

• Owner

I can't think of anything.  I wouldn't throw anything out until you get it all swapped.  

I would also definitely change the intake gasket while you're in there if you have the barrel type intake.

Absolutely... But take notice to the direction of the gasket if it is blown. Is it pulled into the manifold or pushed out. If its pushed out toward the cam valley, make sure to clean your crankcase vent filter. It most likely plugged up crankcase filter and caused said issue.

Yes I own a 96 Dodge Ram... Filter is on the driver side valve cover.

sdi82f.jpg

Picked up the motor yesterday, tore it down today. Rotating assembly looks good, only area of concern is some superficial rust on the rockers. I've located a mild cam for it, so we'll be swapping that in as well. I ordered a full gasket kit for it, and will definitely be replacing the plenum gasket. It looks like it may have already been replaced, judging by the mess the intake gaskets left behind, because it's not blown out like I've read about.

Other weird thing: there were no exhaust gaskets, but there were no signs of an exhaust leak, either.

The EFI on this thing is dead simple. The harness will be a breeze to reinstall. Also, thanks to Ma Mopar for putting removable core supports in the trucks. Makes working on the motor much easier with the radiator and condenser out of the way.

Man, what a pain in the *** to work on this thing is! Even with the core support, radiator, condenser, everything on the front of the motor down except for the timing cover and balancer, the intake and exhaust manifolds, and the hood off, it's still a pain in the *** to access all the bolts.